Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Nu Israelis, how were your 3 days of chag?

kitov

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:08 am
It doesn't happen often to you, so I'm wondering how you all managed...

Here in Chul, between the Shalosh Ragolim, we have 3 days of chag almost every year, so it isn't really a big deal here.

grace413

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:12 am
I managed just fine but some of my friends found it difficult.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:56 am
it felt like it went on forever Smile

BH it is over now and no more 3 day yom tov for a while. Smile

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:57 am
It seems like most (all?) of Israeli posters on the site are originally from chutz, so I would imagine they remember growing up with the 3 days.

Personally, I find it nice as long as I am well prepared (food-wise and playdates for kids, etc.) and would MUCH rather a 3 days yom tov and then off on Sunday versus the 2 days and then work the next day with no transition day. I realize Sunday is a regular work day in Israel.

I was speaking about this today to someone; I HATE the rampant complaining about the 3 day Yomim Tovim. Guess what? It for sure ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. It can be quite a nice feeling going from yom tov straight to Shabbos. There are even ways to shower/freshen up (not washing entire body at once; pre-diluting liquid soap beforehand - ask your LOR) going into Shabbos.

OK - end rant.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:02 am
Tova wrote:
It seems like most (all?) of Israeli posters on the site are originally from chutz, so I would imagine they remember growing up with the 3 days.

Personally, I find it nice as long as I am well prepared (food-wise and playdates for kids, etc.) and would MUCH rather a 3 days yom tov and then off on Sunday versus the 2 days and then work the next day with no transition day. I realize Sunday is a regular work day in Israel.

I was speaking about this today to someone; I HATE the rampant complaining about the 3 day Yomim Tovim. Guess what? It for sure ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. It can be quite a nice feeling going from yom tov straight to Shabbos. There are even ways to shower/freshen up (not washing entire body at once; pre-diluting liquid soap beforehand - ask your LOR) going into Shabbos.

OK - end rant.
doesnt mean we liked it (having the 3 day yom tov growing up)

and as for washing, some say that you can full on take a shower. I learned that you just cant ring out your hair from the shower. I took a full shower otherwise my yoom tov and shabbat would have been terrible.

Tova

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
doesnt mean we liked it (having the 3 day yom tov growing up)

and as for washing, some say that you can full on take a shower. I learned that you just cant ring out your hair from the shower. I took a full shower otherwise my yoom tov and shabbat would have been terrible.[/quote]

OP asked if you managed, not if you liked it (not that I really understand what that means anyways).

Of course everyone will have to defer to their halachic authority regarding showering.

Three years ago Shavuos I was two days post-partum (and in the hospital for Yom Tov) and our Rav said I can shower as much as I wanted to but should still either use a shinui to turn on the hot water or ask a (non-Jewish) nurse to. This surprised me because I didn't think the melacha was the actual turning on the water (being that we are allowed to cook on Yom Tov l'tzorech Y"T) but the washing kol gufo but apparently just the shinui in turning on the water made the whole showering more preferable.

immaville

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:30 am
I am not Israeli, but want to chime in about the complaining too. It bothers me so much that ppl groan about a three day YT. I go out of my way not to expose my kids to ppl complaining like that.

Perhaps if it seems so hard to you, you can go to classes/read articles that will help you see the Yom Tov in a different light? Sometimes if we get to learn what we have to appreciate, and all we can gain from a Yom Tov - or Yom Tov and Shabbos - we enjoy and appreciate more!

Gmar chasima tova!

Marion

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

BH it is over now and no more 3 day yom tov for a while. Smile

Right, until NEXT Rosh Hashanah. (4 of the next 6, including this year, or 3 of the next 5, not including this year.)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:04 am
Ours breezed by. Three days of no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry, no running around. A novelty. Oh, and no guilt about missing work days! I KNEW something about 3 days here felt different.....

shalhevet

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:05 am
I also don't know what all the complaining is about. Anyway, Shabbos is completely different from RH, in what we do and in atmosphere.

OK, the preparations are a lot of work (and the clearing up... Smile) but I think what we're in for in two and three weeks time (YT, 22 hours to clean up and start again, Shabbos) is much harder. When it's chol hamoed it isn't so bad, but that Friday Isru Chag is going to be, uh, challenging, especially since we can't cook for that Shabbos on chol hamoed (in EY).

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:28 am
I think for those who can't take showers, it's harder. I'm not complaining about 3 days, just saying where it could feel different from someone who is showering.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:35 am
Tova wrote:

No, not all. I'm Israeli born and bred. I don't know, maybe because we don't have it often, a 3 day YT feels very special and exciting for me. Okay, yeah I was sweaty and could use a shower, but so what? It was so nice and peaceful, and such an amazing long break from the real world, I actually loved it! (Though I can't imagine doing it 2 more times in the next few weeks... Good luck with that!)

Karnash

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 4:11 am
Apologies to all the Pollyannas, but I think a 3-day chag is a good reason for making Aliya - another one is two sedorim!

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:25 am
I think it is great. We have a whole week now till the next one, plus we skip one whole shabbos! It is much better then yom tov, a day or two of chol hamoed, then shabbos, then yom tov etc.

I never get anything done on friday besides cooking anyway.

kitov

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:24 pm
IMO, (not that we have a choice anyway...) once the cooking is done, it is a lot more enjoyable to have 3 days straight free of maloches. You are FORCED to rest.

dilego

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 3:46 am
honestly I enjoyed the three days,its alot more relaxing then having a friday in between.one just has to be more organized

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:05 am
kitov wrote:
It doesn't happen often to you, so I'm wondering how you all managed...

Here in Chul, between the Shalosh Ragolim, we have 3 days of chag almost every year, so it isn't really a big deal here.
pretty big deal to me! It was a marathon!

Still, in some ways I found it easier than last year, when Rosh Hashana came out on Shabbos. I find it more daunting to have everything ready beforehand, then to have three days, true, but two of them I can cook, whatever I didn't manage to before, or if I have more guests than anticipated, I can cook more. This year, we had more than a minyan for bensching by almost all the seudos. I had to cook loads on YT.

OTOH, challah we had enough. we used over twenty pounds of flour, making three seven1/2 pound batches, before YT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions