Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Out of pure curiosity...

Do you consider yourself....
above-average intelligence  
 56%  [ 37 ]
average intellegence  
 38%  [ 25 ]
below-average intelligence  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 65

amother

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 2:37 pm
This question just came to me and I am wondering how people see themselves in this area. (Actually I have some follow-up questions and comments but I'll hold them till some people vote.)

Tefila

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 2:41 pm
Uh isn't that like saying how beautifull someone thinks they themselves are... Idea and lets face it how unbiased can we be. LOL I mean isn't this like bragging Confused

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 2:44 pm
Oh, a poll about how beautiful we think we are would be interesting too...

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 3:23 pm
why not just ask everyone straight out for their IQ number? You could even provide a link to an online test!

There are many degrees of intelligance, not just 3. For example, genius, brilliant, highly intelligent, above average, etc

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 3:46 pm
Rifky wrote:
why not just ask everyone straight out for their IQ number?

I'm sure many people wouldn't answer, and it would create a pro/anti IQ flame war Twisted Evil

amother

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 3:51 pm
I don't really want to know intelligent anybody is. I'm just interested in how intelligent people THINK they are. Of course there are many more levels of intelligence than the ones I put... There are also many types. I did not specify on purpose, just whether you think you are above or below or just plain average. Trying to keep it simple, even davka "oversimple"!

southernbubby

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 3:53 pm
My son, who I have mentioned before, was born 13 weeks early. He became part of a study and my IQ was assessed as part of the study. They said that I am above average.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 25 2006, 3:58 pm
That really depends on what kind of smart. I dont consider myself at all above average in school subjects, memorizing... but when it comes to street smart-understanding people, the world, I consider myself far above average.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 3:47 am
What do you think accounts for the diff in how smart s/o thinks they are adn how smart e/o else thinks they are?
I put myself down as avg, but I know ppl (like my mother, does she count?) that think I'm some brilliant genius (not that I ever did well in school, so I wonder where these ppl get their ideas from).

chen

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 10:04 am
your assessment will depend on the people you associate with. The valedictorian at Podunk High would quite possibly be scraping the bottom at CutthroatCompetition Prep.

I went to a very good elem. The class "dummies" who didn't get into the A-list HS for girls went to the B-list schools where they all did extremely well. Guess they weren't such dummies after all.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 12:30 pm
Jews are in general above average. The average Ashkenazic IQ is 120, against 100 for the non jews...

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 12:34 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Jews are in general above average. The average Ashkenazic IQ is 120, against 100 for the non jews...

I'd LOVE to see some statistics for that. Rolling Eyes

Yes there are A LOT of brilliant jews - ever check the nobel prize list and notice how many are jewish - way more then is proportional to our population. BUT there are a lot of jews who aren't so smart.

Where do you get those number anyways?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 12:51 pm
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Yes there are A LOT of brilliant jews - ever check the nobel prize list and notice how many are jewish - way more then is proportional to our population. BUT there are a lot of jews who aren't so smart.

The Jewish radio.
It's also common knowledge... sorry. It doesn't surprise me at all, 120 isn't *so* smart and it's an average, if some people have 160 others have 80!

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 12:59 pm
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

The Jewish radio.
It's also common knowledge... sorry. It doesn't surprise me at all, 120 isn't *so* smart and it's an average, if some people have 160 others have 80!

Oh silly me - I thought you had real documented statistical studies.
But if you heard it on the Jewish Radio then it must be true.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 1:03 pm
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
only1 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

The Jewish radio.

Oh silly me - I thought you had real documented statistical studies.
But if you heard it on the Jewish Radio then it must be true.

I don't take notes about everything I hear on the radio...

nechamashifra

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 5:28 pm
I don't think this poll will work. The problem is most people think they are above average in intelligence. Actually, how would unintelligent people realize that they are below average? Don't you need to be smart to realize that? Tongue Out

amother

Post Mon, Jun 26 2006, 5:41 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I don't think this poll will work. The problem is most people think they are above average in intelligence. Actually, how would unintelligent people realize that they are below average? Don't you need to be smart to realize that? Tongue Out

Actually that was exactly what I was looking for... I thought most people would think they were above average, and I was right!

The question is, is that because some people are not seeing themselves accurately, or do we have a high number of above average people on this board? It makes sense that we would. Aside from the fact that we are Jewish, maybe intelligent people are likelier to find this kind of reading and writing stuff entertaining. (Or maybe not... We don't exactly discuss quantum mechanics.)

I do remember hearing of some real statistics that showed that the lower someone's intelligence was, the likelier they were to overestimate their abilities, and the higher their intelligence was, the likelier they were to underestimate it.

New question: was there any point in time that you can remember becoming aware of where you fit on the totem pole of intelligence? Did any particular experience bring it out to you?

Another question: When you read the poll, what kind of intelligence did you understand it to mean? What do you think the word "intelligence" means? (Scientists have a hard time quantifying it, what do YOU think it is?)

And: do you think you are making full use of your mental capacity at this point in your life?

chen

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 9:03 am
amother wrote:

And: do you think you are making full use of your mental capacity at this point in your life?

no one ever makes FULL use of their mental capacities.

incidentally, why are you anonymous?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 27 2006, 10:10 am
Quote:
was there any point in time that you can remember becoming aware of where you fit on the totem pole of intelligence? Did any particular experience bring it out to you?

- in kindergarten when I could read and the others couldn't
- in 1st grade when I always finished 20 mins before the others with a better result
- when I noticed I used more words than the others, and that most of the others didn't understand some of these words, and also some of my ideas. (5 or 6 years?)
- when it got a bit better when I skipped a grade and I started hanging out with older pupils (6/7 years)
- when I explained the situation to my parents who told me it was because I was above average (6?)
- my grades always confirmed it, and also the IQ test I took at 7 before skipping a grade

Quote:

Another question: When you read the poll, what kind of intelligence did you understand it to mean?

School, ideas, understanding things...

Quote:
What do you think the word "intelligence" means? (Scientists have a hard time quantifying it, what do YOU think it is?)

It depends which one.

Quote:

Totally not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics