Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do kids play outside in florida?

imato5

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 6:17 pm
I KNOW IT SOUNDS SILLY, BUT HERE IN LAKEWOOD MY KIDS ARE OUTSIDE PLAYing all the time. Its so hot in Florida, will my kids still be able to play outside?

someoneoutthere

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:47 pm
yes

unameit

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:39 pm
I lived in Lakewood and now live in Florida. Kids play outside atleast 10 months a year down here. In lakewood it is a lot less. Just to let you know it never hits 100 degrees down here even in the summer it does get very humid which may make it feel hotter. But our hot season is for longer. It is great down here no snow to shovel ever. and believe it our not we need heat here sometimes.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:40 pm
Sure!
You gotta be smart about it though...
They should probably not be running around in an unshaded area between 10:30AM and 3:00PM (as long as there's some shade, though, it's fine) and make sure they drink a lot. The minute their faces turn red, it's time to bring them in. And make the transition from oudoors to AC SLOWLY, otherwise they'll get sick.
My kids go to the park every day. And if we had a house, they'd be in the yard all day.

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:10 am
We just moved to the SE eight months ago, and I'll admit we didn't do a lot of outdoor stuff in July and August. Even now it's still pretty hot. That and the awful gnats (on my first encounter in the spring I got 160 bites!!!!!!). BUT the rest of the year is fantastic and we spend lots of time outdoors, with our bikes or rollerblades, going on walks, visiting parks, etc. In the summer we do more things like museums, indoor parks, nature centers. There are plenty of options. I don't mind having a hot summer in lieu of a snowy winter at all! Smile

Gsanmb

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 7:50 pm
Yes.

We live on the west coast of Florida and although the summer is pretty brutal, the kids still go outside in the early and late parts of the day. But the other 9 months of the year they are out all the time.

Also their school has them outside for recess/PE/lunch & recess 3 times a day (lunch is outside under a sunshade at picnic tables unless it's raining, then they eat in classrooms).

We are always at the park, walking on the beach/collecting shells etc., in our pool (we have a small private one), riding bikes in the neighborhood, playing kickball outside, etc.

October-May is absolutely gorgeous here, maybe you'd need a light fleece early in the morning but by midday a t-shirt is fine. I don't miss the coats, mittens, hats, boots, snow shovel mornings at ALL.

alpidarkomama

Post Sun, Sep 19 2010, 10:15 pm
Gsanmb wrote:
Yes.

We live on the west coast of Florida and although the summer is pretty brutal, the kids still go outside in the early and late parts of the day. But the other 9 months of the year they are out all the time.

Also their school has them outside for recess/PE/lunch & recess 3 times a day (lunch is outside under a sunshade at picnic tables unless it's raining, then they eat in classrooms).

We are always at the park, walking on the beach/collecting shells etc., in our pool (we have a small private one), riding bikes in the neighborhood, playing kickball outside, etc.

October-May is absolutely gorgeous here, maybe you'd need a light fleece early in the morning but by midday a t-shirt is fine. I don't miss the coats, mittens, hats, boots, snow shovel mornings at ALL.

You've got all that right! I was a pretty loyal northwesterner before we moved, and never, ever imagined myself in a subtropical climate but I find, much to my dismay, I'm rather enjoying it!!!!!! (But I still can't believe I live where there are palm trees; I grew up with them and just never thought I'd see that again...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating