Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What shopping do you allow your teens to do for you?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 4:02 am
Do you let your teens do your shopping for you if they drive? I want to but last time I couldn't go so I sent ds and he called home asking dd what sanitary pads are and she said "oh forget it!" What do you tell your sons?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 4:55 am
My teens shop for me all the time but I just don't tell them to get girly stuff. Ds once came home and was making fun of dds to all his friends that majority of the things on his list were makeup and hair stuff and how they're such weirdos and obsessed with their looks. Then they got into a whole fight but thats for another thread....lol

KAlex

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:17 am
I don't have teenagers, but it seems like the issue here isn't that your son should do shopping for you, but that you gave him a list including items he wasn't familiar with. Sure, if you'd put (random food example) "quinoa" down, and he's never heard of it (and probably doesn't even know how to say it) there isn't the same risk of embarrassment if he has to ask for help in the shop, but it seems like the same issue.

To be honest, if a friend asked me to buy her sanitary pads I'd want more information (like which brand, how many, which style/size), and obviously I know all about them. If my mother put them on a shopping list I wouldn't have to ask, because I know what she usually buys (or at least did, when I lived with her), but that's because I shared hers when necessary. My brother would have known what they were (I think), but I doubt he'd have known which type to get if sent shopping alone without more detailed instructions.

(NB If anyone here doesn't know, I'd expect to find quinoa with the dried grains and beans etc if going to a new supermarket, and I'd pronounce it "keen-wa". Great stuff!)

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:36 pm
If I send any of my kids shopping for me, I make sure the list is as specific as possible. But its usually only for food and very basic home items.
Most of us cant send our DH for sanitary napkins w/o confusing him as to which ones we want...........

louche

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:45 pm
Humor an ignorant old lady, b/c I find it very hard to believe that a woman possessing any shred of sense, sensitivity or tznius would task her ds, regardless of age, with buying her feminine hygiene products. OP, are you for real?

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:49 pm
I also find it strange - surely imo, bad judgement. As a teenager I didn't even want to be in the same aisle as my mother when she bought that stuff FOR ME!!!

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:03 pm
louche wrote:
Humor an ignorant old lady, b/c I find it very hard to believe that a woman possessing any shred of sense, sensitivity or tznius would task her ds, regardless of age, with buying her feminine hygiene products. OP, are you for real?

LOL yeah it sounds funny to ask a single boy/ bochur to get this shock ...the average guy does not even go near the aisle LOL LOL and it took DH years to get somewhat over it embarrassed embarrassed and go get me that stuff!!!! he still hides it under other purchases and use to drive to a farther store so not to run into people Rolling Eyes too funny!!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:29 pm
louche wrote:
My thoughts exactly. LIek why would u send ur son to get u ur pads? And I think its different for dh to buy them than ds. Its normal for a guy to get his wife some pads but its pure uncomfortable imo to send ur son... Scratching Head

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:30 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I also find it strange - surely imo, bad judgement. As a teenager I didn't even want to be in the same aisle as my mother when she bought that stuff FOR ME!!!
LOL same here!!

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:
Do you let your teens do your shopping for you if they drive? I want to but last time I couldn't go so I sent ds and he called home asking dd what sanitary pads are and she said "oh forget it!" What do you tell your sons?

Yes, I'd let a teen shop for me. No I would not ask my teenage son to buy tampons or pads. I would not need to explain,(Although, my guess is most boys with sisters know what a period is) because he would never have had that on his list. OTOH, my daughter (if I had one) I would ask to pick it up.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 2:14 am
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
louche wrote:
My thoughts exactly. LIek why would u send ur son to get u ur pads? And I think its different for dh to buy them than ds. Its normal for a guy to get his wife some pads but its pure uncomfortable imo to send ur son... Scratching Head

OP here. I gave him the list at the last minute which had been accumulating throughout the week and dd put it on and also I was supposed to go but at the last minute he went for me.

smilingmom

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 7:19 am
My DH does all food shopping and takes along kids so they are familiar with products and prices.
During the summer my 14 yo DD did all the shopping by herself.
Now that she is back in school, DH had to resume his duties.

We do not have a car, so that is not an issue for any one of us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children