Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Avigdor

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:36 pm
what's the correct pronunciation?

louche

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:39 pm
Just as it's spelled" ahVEEgdor" if you're ashkenazic and ahVEEgDOR if you're sephardic.

I was astonished to learn this is a genyoowine Hebrew name. It sounded so Yiddish/German to me.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:48 pm
louche wrote:
Just as it's spelled" ahVEEgdor" if you're ashkenazic and ahVEEgDOR if you're sephardic.

I was astonished to learn this is a genyoowine Hebrew name. It sounded so Yiddish/German to me.
Confused

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:48 pm
I pronounce it Avigdor like vig as in dig. Not like louche who does veeg as in deeg

louche

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:50 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:
I pronounce it Avigdor like vig as in dig. Not like louche who does veeg as in deeg

Do your kids go to yeSHEEva or yeSHIVa? Mine go to yeSHEEva. Where they SHIVer in winter.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 1:53 pm
louche wrote:
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:

Do your kids go to yeSHEEva or yeSHIVa? Mine go to yeSHEEva. Where they SHIVer in winter.
They go to yesHEEva which has a nice siVEEva, and yes they sHIVer and qUIVer in the winter too!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 2:05 pm
louche wrote:

Yes, it may not be very common, but it goes way back. Avigdor was another name for Moshe Rabeinu.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Sep 28 2010, 4:48 pm
My son's middle name is Ah-Vihg-Dor not Ah-Veeg-Dor. We call him Avi or Viggy for short.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names