Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What kind of special ed is more in demand in spanish

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 2:58 pm
I want to study something to do with education and I'm fluent in spanish.
What is in high demand (easy to find a job), good pay and not so long training?
is it a SEIT, OT, P3 or somethiig else?
TIA

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:08 pm
there is a HUGE demand in the public school system for bilingual special ed teachers (eng/spanish)

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:12 pm
for SEIT or P3 I think ther'es only a 2 yr training period. and there's a demand as nicole said.

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:20 pm
SEIT and P3 both require the same full teaching license as any other city/state teaching position, so the training is the same either way. You haven't mentioned a location, but in NY for sure there is tons of demand for any bilingual spanish special ed. You need a separate certification to teach bilingual I believe, but if you're already fluent it shouldn't be too hard to get and is definitely worth it because it opens up a whole new job market. I think the only thing more in demand is Chinese.

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:23 pm
oh duh. there goes my NY-centricity again. where are you located OP? and also, do you have any credits or a degree yet?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:04 pm
op here
yes NYC is correct.
I have a management degree but I don't think that helps.
I want to go for education field and use the spanish too (NYC soon you will press 2 for english shock ) but I don't want to bee in school for too long. if there is a possibility to study and work at the same time I will do it.
any ideas?
I don't know where to study it in a more heimishe environment if possible
thanks you
ps if the3re is something I can do in the public school system without more schooling I will do it to

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:09 pm
Yes it is possible to study and work at the same time. I don't know how quickly you can pull it off, certification requirements are heavy. If you already have a bachelor's degree in anything that helps some. You might consider teaching fellows, but it is a lot of work, I don't think you could pull it off if you have a family to take care of at the same time. You could be a para, no schooling needed, just a certification exam and being bilingual helps there too.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:27 pm
excuse my ignorance but what is para? and teach fellows?

where can I find information on certification?

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 4:35 pm
Um... Google is your friend.

But briefly, in education a paraprofessional is like an assistant teacher or a shadow, depending on the circumstances. Pay is much less than lead teacher but still very nice considering that it's much less work, too, and you get the same benefits as far as I know.

Teaching Fellows is a program that sends people with bachelor's degrees in other fields to masters programs in education for free. You have to apply, qualify, and commit to a certain number of years teaching in NYC public schools including while you're working on the masters, so it's REALLY hard work but you're going to school for free and working for full pay at the same time. So it's a really good deal but only if you are up to tons of work for a long time.

http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/default.htm

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 5:47 pm
thank you
I will look in to it

marina

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 6:33 pm
school psychologists.

nicole81

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 6:35 pm
I am a teaching fellow myself. The above information is partially correct... If you have any questions regarding the program, or about teaching in nyc in general, you can ask here or via pm.

The website for the fellows is www.nyctf.org

They are currently not interviewing but will probably begin a new program in june.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:01 pm
Marina what is the schooling time for the school psychologist and what is the salary?

marina

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:15 pm
2 years plus one year of internship, usually. I did mine in MA, so I don't know about NY coursework.

Salaries can vary with where you live. The higher ranges would be in the 60s & 70s and I imagine that a spanish speaking school psych would be able to command a higher price.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US
/Job=School_Psychologist/Salary/by_City

michal817

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:25 pm
OP, I'm currently getting my Masters in school psychology in NYC, so feel free to PM me if you want. There is definitely high demand for bilingual school psychologists, and there are also scholarship opportunities available.

nicole81

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:27 pm
the nyc payscale for school psychologists is contractually based. you can see the pay scale at http://www.uft.org/our-rights/.....gists

as you can see, the starting salary is around $50K and with no additional coursework, around $60K five years in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics