Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sending kids to Camp
1  2  Next

Tefila

Post Tue, Apr 05 2005, 10:56 pm
Hi is anyone else sending their child to overnight camp? And also how far driving from montreal to N.Y. Thanks

proudmom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:03 am
7 hours from montreal to NY

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:46 am
im pretty sure we did it in 6 Very Happy

proudmom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:52 am
RG I travel back and forth from montreal to NY at least every 2 months and it takes 7 hours. probably it took you 6 cuz you sped. Wink

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:11 am
maybe you had extra waiting time at the border? Very Happy
also what time of day do you travel?

we got stuck at the border for a long time, but the roads were completely empty because we travelled in the middle of the night. I dont think we were speeding.

chochma73

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:41 am
I have also travelled to Montreal pretty often and it has taken me (us) from 6 hours to 9 hours (stopping to nurse, bathroom, bathroom, bathroom). But for camp that is in the mountains and is a little farther than traveling into Montreal itself so I think between 7 and 8 hours is probably accurate.

AweSumThenSum

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 11:46 am
my daughter is going to camp fay-gah for the third summer iyh. my sister in law's mother is from montreal and she has a sister in the same camp. they usually make a liesure trip out of the way down and up, so it takes them longer, but u gotta figure 5-7 hours.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 12:33 pm
Soo now tell me 2 of my sons are going there for 8 weeks yikes 13 and 14yr old. I won't be able to visit them twice b/c we don't live in Montreal but once, which session would be important to visit.

proudmom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 12:37 pm
Quote:
maybe you had extra waiting time at the border?
also what time of day do you travel?

we got stuck at the border for a long time, but the roads were completely empty because we travelled in the middle of the night. I dont think we were speeding.

we travel at night and also early in the morning to prevent traffic. the only time we stop is for gas or for the bathroom.

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:46 pm
Quote:
which session would be important to visit.

I would definitely say the first session, but it should be up to them...

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:47 pm
Thanks RG, may I ask why though?

proudmom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:49 pm
just ask your kids which visiting day they prefer you to come to visit. Do you have relatives in montreal that can visit them when you are not going to be there?

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:54 pm
Quote:
Do you have relatives in montreal that can visit them when you are not going to be there?

Nope! But have relatives in N.Y. thats why I wanted to know distance, so then for one of those visiting sessions I could have my bil and sis visit Confused

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 1:59 pm
Quote:
may I ask why though?

I think it would be easier for them to adjust with the thought of "my parents are coming in two weeks," rather than "my parents are coming in six weeks." also, visiting day for the first time in camp is a bit lonely with no visitors and probably less lonely once theyve already been in camp for a long time. also, if they need/forgot something at home, they can get it two weeks later on the first visiting day, and not have to wait until the second visiting day.

but I think your boys should decide...

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 2:03 pm
Thanks RG well now I've decided, my perogative. 8) Trust me they'll be happy too Very Happy

roza

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 3:12 pm
I am sending my boys to overnight camp in NY for 4 weeks and will ask a friend of mine to visit them (take them out for a day). she did it last summer and it was great. now she is also sending her boys to the same camp.

imaamy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2005, 10:11 pm
Our son is going to Camp Stone in Pennsylvania for the first time. They don't have visiting days. We wouldn't go from California anyway but I have a relative who would. I think he'll be having so much fun anyway. Hopefully more fun than I'm having filling out papers, scheduling his physical, and determining how to fit all the stuff they have to bring into two bags for the airplane!

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 02 2006, 5:14 pm
Dear Mom And Dad,

Our Counsellor told us to write to our parents in case you saw the flood on TV and are worried. We are okay. Only one of our tents and 2 sleeping bags got washed away. Luckily, none of us got drowned because we were all up on the mountain looking for Moishe when it happened.

Oh yes, please call Moishe's mother and tell her he is okay. He can't write because of the cast. I got to ride in one of the search and rescue jeeps. It was neat. We never would have found him in the dark if it hadn't been for the lightning.

The Head Counselor got mad at Moishe for going on a hike alone without telling anyone. Moishe said he did tell him, but it was during the fire so he probably didn't hear him. Did you know that if you put gas on a fire, the gas will blow up? The wet wood didn't burn, but one of the tents did and also some of our clothes. Boruch is going to look weird until his hair grows back.

We will be home on Sunday if the head counsellor gets the bus fixed. It wasn't his fault about the wreck. The brakes worked okay when we left. He says that with a bus that old you have to expect something to break down; that's probably why he can't get insurance. We think it's a neat bus. He doesn't care if we get it dirty, and if it's hot, sometimes he lets us ride on the fenders. It gets pretty hot with 45 people in a bus. He let us take turns riding in the trailer until the highway patrol man stopped and talked to us.

Our Head Counselor is a neat guy. Don't worry, he is a good driver. In fact, he is teaching Chaim how to drive on the mountain roads where there isn't any traffic. All we ever see up there are logging trucks.

This morning all of the guys were diving off the rocks and swimming out in the lake. Our counsellor wouldn't let me because I can't swim, and Moishe was afraid he would sink because of his cast, so he let us take the canoe across the lake. It was great. You can still see some of the trees under the water from the flood.

Our Head Counselor isn't crabby like some. He didn't even get mad about the life jackets. He has to spend a lot of time working on the bus so we are trying not to cause him any trouble.

Guess what? We have all passed our first aid tests. When Shloimy dived into the lake and cut his arm, we got to see how a tourniquet works. Reuven and I threw up, but our counsellor said it probably was just food poisoning from the leftover chicken. He said they got sick that way with food they ate in the hospital.

I'm so glad he feels a little better and became our Head Counselor. He said he sure figured out how to get things done better while he was recuperating from tuberculosis. By the way, what is a consumptive?

I have to go now. We are going to town to mail our letters and buy some more firecrackers. Don't worry about anything. We are fine.

Love, Davey

goldrose

Post Sun, Jul 02 2006, 6:15 pm
GR wrote:
Quote:
may I ask why though?

I think it would be easier for them to adjust with the thought of "my parents are coming in two weeks," rather than "my parents are coming in six weeks." also, visiting day for the first time in camp is a bit lonely with no visitors and probably less lonely once theyve already been in camp for a long time. also, if they need/forgot something at home, they can get it two weeks later on the first visiting day, and not have to wait until the second visiting day.

but I think your boys should decide...

great logic there, rg, I completely agree.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Jul 02 2006, 6:23 pm
Very cute Motek!!! Smile Smile Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics