Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What is a baby layette?

morah

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:37 pm
My grandparents want to buy us a "layette" for the baby. It's not for another 6 months, but they wanted us to do some research and pick one we liked. We were too embarrassed to tell them we have no idea what a layette is, so can someone here enlighten me? Where can a look for a good one, that's not too expensive?
TIA.

missknowitall

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:45 pm
wikipedia:
A layette is a collection of clothing for a newborn child. The term "layette set" is commonly used in the United States to refer to gift sets of baby clothes.[citation needed]

Traditionally, women would hand-sew their baby's clothes during their pregnancy. Today "layette" is often used to identify a baby clothing section of a store. The term can also be used for bedding, accessories, and baby care items.
[edit] Basic layette
Infant wearing a onesie

Basic layette items include:

* a going-home-from-the-hospital or birth center outfit
* legless sleepwear (sleeping gowns / kimonos / sleeping bags / newborn sacques / blanket sleepers) or footed sleepers
* onesies (short-sleeved, legless bodysuits) / all-in-ones / rompers / coveralls
* undershirts / T-shirts
* receiving blankets
* swaddling blankets
* hooded towels
* baby washcloths
* cloth diapers for diapering
* socks / booties
* hats / beanies / sweaters / bunting (depending on the climate)
* burp cloths (cloth diapers are often recommended)
* Scratch mits
* Vests

Isramom8

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:04 pm
Uh oh, this sounds risky . You better find out what the term means to them, what it includes. Layette can mean anything and everything a newborn needs.

Do they mean all the frilly crib stuff (and do you even want that or do you want the bare minimum in the crib for safety reasons)?

Do they mean a complete newborn wardrobe?

What price range do they have in mind?

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:10 pm
If you look on the baby clothes websites, you'll see they have certain collections of items that they sell as a "layette" bundle with everything coordinating. Would usually include a few undershirts, a stretchie, a 2-piece outfit, some socks, a hat, and a blanket or 2. I'd wager this is what your grandparents have in mind -- even though technically a layette could be defined as your complete starter wardrobe, they probably meant they'll get you a gift set and you should pick one you like, rather than make a shopping list of everything you need!

Pretty much any baby clothing site as well as any site that lets you make a baby registry will have a number of these to choose from.
Examples of big registry sites:
Babies R Us
Buy Buy Baby
Amazon.com
Examples of regular baby clothing sites:
Baby Gap
Carters

morah

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:39 pm
Thanks for the replies. Wow, I didn't realize that a layette is not one thing. Isramom- I believe they were referring to clothing-type items, because my parents are giving us all the furniture and gear (I have much-younger siblings, so those items are recent and in excellent condition, and they most likely won't be needing them anymore).

So far I can't seem to find a 'set' of stuff. How do I know what to put together?

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 2:12 am
Going to second what Isramom said, if there's any way you can find out from the gift-givers what they have in mind, that would probably be a good move.

Here's an example though:
http://www.amazon.com/Carters-.....tst_i

Grandmama

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 4:39 pm
You can call up any children's store in Boro Park, and tell them the price range, and they put together a package for you. All the stuff is exchangeable if you don't like or use anything.
There are also a few stores that specialize in layettes exclusively.
With some imported brands, these layettes can run into the $1,000s literally....

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 4:42 pm
That's actually a pretty good idea if you live in Brooklyn and can check out their stuff and/or make exchanges. But it will likely be much more expensive, you will get less for your dough in BP than if you shop online or put together something yourself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics