Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Dovid in Monsey, would like any information please.
Previous  1  2

shmoozer

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:50 pm
amother wrote:
happyone wrote:
It's an excellent Yeshiva. "They hit" is a ridiculous statement. It's one Rebbe that parents were having issues with , as far as I know. (and you can talk to the rebbe and insist he not touch your child.)
all the families I know that send there are extremely happy. The parent body consist of a nice mix of chasidish, litvish and yeshivish. They do screen their families well, and IMO it's not too late to apply anywhere.

They hit is correct. t's not just one rebbe. The menahel hits and the rebbeim hit, at least from fourth grade on. In younger grades maybe they don't hit - maybe - but they do lock boys in closets and tie them to chairs.

There is a basis for hitting in halacha, but many feel Bais Dovid goes too far. OP has head a range of opinions, so now she can make her own decision. I suggest she spend some time doing research on google as well.

you sound like you had massive issues with the school. As far as I know the place, my brothers were there, my friends brothers, and my friends are sending there now. A child that cannot be disciplined any other way needs a potch sometimes - especially when the parents deny problems! my son is not there, and he was hit by his rebbe in kdg and in first grade. I was very for it. I don't think a child should be beaten up, but a little potch on the hand puts a boy in his place.
look at yourself - you don't hit your kids? I certainly do. I don't beat, and I don't do it very often, but sometimes I feel that's what the kids need. you are putting your son into a yeshiva, this rebbe has to control your child for 8 hrs. how is he supposed to do it?! and not only your child - it's him with all the other kids in the class together! If parents can't handle 2,3,4,5,6.... kids, imagine a class of 28 - and all the same age!
A rebbe that hits the right way for the right reason - is totally right!
and in regards to tying to a chair and locking in a closet - wake up! I don't believe that! maybe they did that in the early days of the yeshiva, when that was a common thing to do - they do not do that today!

shmoozer

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
happyone wrote:
It's an excellent Yeshiva. "They hit" is a ridiculous statement. It's one Rebbe that parents were having issues with , as far as I know. (and you can talk to the rebbe and insist he not touch your child.)
all the families I know that send there are extremely happy. The parent body consist of a nice mix of chasidish, litvish and yeshivish. They do screen their families well, and IMO it's not too late to apply anywhere.

They hit is correct. t's not just one rebbe. The menahel hits and the rebbeim hit, at least from fourth grade on. In younger grades maybe they don't hit - maybe - but they do lock boys in closets and tie them to chairs.

There is a basis for hitting in halacha, but many feel Bais Dovid goes too far. OP has head a range of opinions, so now she can make her own decision. I suggest she spend some time doing research on google as well.

you sound like you had massive issues with the school. As far as I know the place, my brothers were there, my friends brothers, and my friends are sending there now. A child that cannot be disciplined any other way needs a potch sometimes - especially when the parents deny problems! my son is not there, and he was hit by his rebbe in kdg and in first grade. I was very for it. I don't think a child should be beaten up, but a little potch on the hand puts a boy in his place.
look at yourself - you don't hit your kids? I certainly do. I don't beat, and I don't do it very often, but sometimes I feel that's what the kids need. you are putting your son into a yeshiva, this rebbe has to control your child for 8 hrs. how is he supposed to do it?! and not only your child - it's him with all the other kids in the class together! If parents can't handle 2,3,4,5,6.... kids, imagine a class of 28 - and all the same age!
A rebbe that hits the right way for the right reason - is totally right!
and in regards to tying to a chair and locking in a closet - wake up! I don't believe that! maybe they did that in the early days of the yeshiva, when that was a common thing to do - they do not do that today!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
happyone wrote:

Hmmm, really? On my street, which has all of 5 houses, SIX families send to Bais Dovid. Funny no one's mentioned complaints such as these, and trust me, I've asked. Just today my son came home telling me that a boy used pretty foul language, and repeated what he said. I asked him what his Rebbi did. He said the whole class was given a talking to about using clean words from mouths that study Torah. I asked him what happened to that boy, my son told me nothing. ONLY the old Rabbi Bauer believes in hitting. There is ONE Rebbi in the upper grades that hit, to the best of my knowledge.

mominlkwd

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:19 pm
I think everyone should remember that it was just judgement day and spreading rumors is L"H. I do not know good or bad about this school but unless you are willing to post your name and number to validate your L"H I suggest you hold your tongue.

And locking kids up and tying them up?? I doubt they would stay open if this was true.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 5:34 pm
There are better ways to discipline than potching. A rebbe can try to build the child up through positive reinforcement and encouragement and extra attention. Though of course that's really the parents' responsibility as well, and if they lack healthy discipline skills, that's not fair to the Rebbe or the child. Maybe the Rebbe should meet with the parents and they can discuss a healthy discpline plan together.... Potching deals with the negative behavior, but not the cause behind the negative behavior. You need to treat the whole child, see the whole picture, in order to turn out a healthy adult.

watermelon

Post Wed, Oct 06 2010, 7:41 pm
My brothers went through there and were potched at some time or another.

When my parents made it clear that my brothers were not to be touched, the staff felt they couldnt properly discipline students that are "off limits".

The school does have a more european style of discipline.
***BUT NOONE IS LOCKED IN CLOSETS OR TIED UP***

shmoozer

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:19 am
gold21 wrote:
There are better ways to discipline than potching. A rebbe can try to build the child up through positive reinforcement and encouragement and extra attention. Though of course that's really the parents' responsibility as well, and if they lack healthy discipline skills, that's not fair to the Rebbe or the child. Maybe the Rebbe should meet with the parents and they can discuss a healthy discpline plan together.... Potching deals with the negative behavior, but not the cause behind the negative behavior. You need to treat the whole child, see the whole picture, in order to turn out a healthy adult.

of course there are better ways - potching is a last resort. reinforcement, encouragement, extra attention... all these things are of utmost importance - no one is denying that. but were you ever a teacher? not always, in every situation, could the child be dealt with positively at the moment.

MommyZ

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 11:24 am
watermelon wrote:
My brothers went through there and were potched at some time or another.

When my parents made it clear that my brothers were not to be touched, the staff felt they couldnt properly discipline students that are "off limits".

The school does have a more european style of discipline.
***BUT NOONE IS LOCKED IN CLOSETS OR TIED UP***

This kind of disclaimer makes me as a parent consider this school inappropriate for any child of mine. Just the fact that this kind of behavior has to be denied speaks volumes.

shmoozer

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 3:51 pm
it doesn't have to be denied. one person can make up a crazy story cuz they are angry at a school for whatever reason and then the statement stays...

amother

Post Sun, Oct 10 2010, 6:54 pm
Sorry, but to me there is NO excuse in the world for a teacher hitting a child.
I heard from two boys in a chassidishe cheder (not bais dovid but another in monsey) about what goes on in their school and it gave me chills. To think that mothers can send their children to be in the care of such people is mind-boggling. And yes, my dh is a teacher too, so I know the difficulties of handling a classroom and yet he always says there is NEVER a need to touch a child. A rebbe that has full control never needs to resort to hitting. Is that a way to build a positive relationship with children? To give them a love of Torah? NO. Sorry, just had to vent.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 10:44 am
shmoozer wrote:
it doesn't have to be denied. one person can make up a crazy story cuz they are angry at a school for whatever reason and then the statement stays...

It's not a made up crazy story, my son's rebbe would tie them to their chair if they got out of their seats during learning, and he often locked them in the closet as a punishment. Shmoozer, wouldn't you be "angry at a school" if this is what they did to your son? Or are you the type to claim it's a normal part of chinuch?

shmoozer

Post Tue, Oct 26 2010, 12:06 pm
no. I would definitely call the school and see what the story was. just cuz your son said it was done, doesn't mean it was done. not that I don't believe my children, but children do have a tendancy to make up stories and exxagerate, so before jumping to conclusions and badmouthing a school, I would see what the story was.
then, if it was true, it's not the entire yeshiva, it's probably that rebbe. so deal with him, don't badmouth the entire yeshiva.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics