Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
2nd grader having issue with ball in school

amother

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 1:51 am
DS brings a ball to school so that his class can play during recess. The school allows it. But he's having a problem with his classmates. He gets upset when kids take the ball without his permission. Does that sound like he's being too possessive? He also has a problem deciding who gets to use the ball when, and the kids argue over who gets to use the ball. I suggested he bring the ball home, but he doesn't want to. Any suggestions?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 2:04 am
Sorry, my only suggestion is to tell him he either has to learn to share better and not be so particular about who plays with the ball and when or he needs to leave it at home.

I would tell him he has until the end of this week. If things don't improve with him taking the ball to school, you're making a parental decision and you're not going to allow him to bring the ball any more.

shanie5

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 7:31 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Sorry, my only suggestion is to tell him he either has to learn to share better and not be so particular about who plays with the ball and when or he needs to leave it at home.

I would tell him he has until the end of this week. If things don't improve with him taking the ball to school, you're making a parental decision and you're not going to allow him to bring the ball any more.

I agree with Yesha.

The only other option I would see is buying a few more balls and donating them to the class. And then your sons ball stays home.

LondonIma

Post Wed, Oct 27 2010, 9:00 am
Just my opinion but I didnt get the impression from the OP that the main issue was her DS not wanting to share the ball- there are two separate issues she mentioned 1- her DS gets frustrated when class mates take the ball with out asking. I would tell my DS that he either has to be prepared for that to happen (though he should still ask his friends to simply ask first so that he can keep track of where it is) or bring the ball home. I don't like when DS takes a toy that's lying around but not ours and he says "he lets"- he may let, but the polite thing to do is to ask, every time in my opinion. As for dealing with kids argue over who gets a turn that a tough one for a second grader- again if this seems to be the norm I would have DS bring it home- but can you encourage DS to ask an adult if he doesn't know what to do- the school I teach in has "peer moderators" in the play ground- not sure this is the norm but I think they are used for exactly that. if not- a teacher should be able to do the same job. The other posters are of course right that if in fact the issue is your DS sharing then really the only thing to do is bring the ball home.

Good luck anyway!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children