Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Re: gemach for a kitchen aid mixer?

marineparkimma

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 7:06 am
Shalom Aleichem ladies and how are you?

Does anyone know of a gemach or an appliance store in Brooklyn that could rent me for one day a kitchen aid or similar powerful mixer to use for kneading challah dough for my daughter's upcoming Brachos Bas Mitzvah Party?

any information would be greatly appreciated...

thanks...

kol tuv,
mikol halev

Inspired

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:55 pm
Wouldn't it be easier to just knead it by hand? Rather than drive somewhere pick up a mixer, wash it, bring it back.
I always knead by hand including a simcha challah made of 5 kilos or more.

Liba

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 1:57 pm
A Kitchenaid mixer isn't strong enough to knead enough challah dough to make a bracha on being mehafos challah. Kneading by hand isn't that hard. Otherwise, you are likely looking for a magimix or bosh mixer. Maybe you have a neighbor who could lend you one?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 2:03 pm
Go to the bakery and buy dough from them.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:01 pm
borrow from a friend or 2

marineparkimma

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:26 am
Shalom aleichem ladies and thank you all for responding!

Inspired: I can't knead by hand. Period. I am doomed to never know the joys of creating delicious dough from scratch. Believe me; I have tried for 18 years to learn the right technique but it never works and I never get to make hafrasha... I console myself with the thought that I"H I will be zoche to make aliyah very, very soon and then I get to treat myself to the 220 version of the electrolux... yay! but thanks anyway for the suggestion...

Liba: I didn't know that a kitchenaid can't do dough- the website shows it handling 14 cups of flour... It is also much better priced than the Bosch and Magic Mill... Also, I heard that there is this big "machloikes" between the Magic Mill and the Bosch in terms of price and reliability- and those purchases are I"H the first thing I indulge in before making aliyah!

Tamiri: Great idea! I really like it! This way I know for sure that I have delicious taste! Thanks!

chocolate mousse: I am trying to borrow ffom family and friends... not working... long story

pina colada

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:36 am
marineparkimma wrote:
Shalom aleichem ladies and thank you all for responding!

Inspired: I can't knead by hand. Period. I am doomed to never know the joys of creating delicious dough from scratch. Believe me; I have tried for 18 years to learn the right technique but it never works and I never get to make hafrasha... I console myself with the thought that I"H I will be zoche to make aliyah very, very soon and then I get to treat myself to the 220 version of the electrolux... yay! but thanks anyway for the suggestion...

Liba: I didn't know that a kitchenaid can't do dough- the website shows it handling 14 cups of flour... It is also much better priced than the Bosch and Magic Mill... Also, I heard that there is this big "machloikes" between the Magic Mill and the Bosch in terms of price and reliability- and those purchases are I"H the first thing I indulge in before making aliyah!

Tamiri: Great idea! I really like it! This way I know for sure that I have delicious taste! Thanks!

chocolate mousse: I am trying to borrow ffom family and friends... not working... long story

why would you wait to buy a mixer until you make Aliyah?

Liba

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 3:50 am
pina colada wrote:

why would you wait to buy a mixer until you make Aliyah?

LOL
I did. In the US I kneaded by hand, but when I made aliya and was buying my 220v appliances I treated myself to a Bosh and have never regretted doing it. Since I have been ill and lost mobility of my shoulder with my last surgery I have really really appreciated the fact that I made the purchase when I had the money. Now I just need a flour sifter so I don't have to rely on my husband to sift my flour for me when I want to make challah. Smile

marineparkimma I hope that you are able to get dough from a bakery. It sounds like a wonderful idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics