Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Treifed knife

hannah95

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:51 am
Hello

DH just cut mozarella with a bassari knife ... Oh well.

My problem is that the knife has a wood handle. Is agala good enough to casher it ?
Today is a holiday here and I don't want to bother my Rav for this.

Thanks !

amother

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:56 am
Two things - and I'm anon because I'm preparing for the onslaught.

#1 the mozzarella was cold, therefore, it's not treifed. You wash it with cold water and soap to clean it.

#2 I spoke to my (Yeshivish) Rav yesterday and he said that these days, our knives are made without nooks and crannies, so agala does work (though I was talking about a plastic knife incidentally)

amother

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 11:58 am
Also, knives only get triefed when cutting cold food if they're sharp. Mozzarella, isn't.

hannah95

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 12:02 pm
Yes, of course, the knife was cold, the cheese was cold, so for me too, I thought it was not a big problem.
But then I got to thing about the wood handle and got confused embarrassed

chanahlady

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 12:20 pm
You can plunge the knife blade into dirt 10 times and that'll take care of it, AFAIK. You can also take a dairy knife and cut off the part that you cut with the fleish knife and throw that part away.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 12:56 pm
chanahlady wrote:
You can plunge the knife blade into dirt 10 times and that'll take care of it, AFAIK. You can also take a dairy knife and cut off the part that you cut with the fleish knife and throw that part away.

Why does the cheese need to be thrown away? Being machmir, unnecessarily causes baal tachshis.

Ask a Rav.

merelyme

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 1:22 pm
Was the knife clean of fleishig food when it was used it to cut the cold mozzarella?
If yes, then (as amother above stated) just wash the knife with cold water (and soap).
You do not need to kasher the knife. You do not need to stick it in dirt. You do not need to throw out cheese.
Try to be more careful in the future.
Have a nice day.

anonymrs

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:30 pm
Set the knife aside and ask a rav tomorrow. We are not rabbis!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:35 pm
DH says if the knife had been washed before the "accident" and not used for 24 hours, you can keep the cheese. If it was clean but less than 24 hours, it's a machlokes and you should ask! If there was meat on the knife, it's most probably not usable (unless maybe no taste, not visible, less than a 1/60, again a question to ask).

Maybe you should call Allo rav.

hannah95

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 2:58 pm
Thanks for all you answers.
Dh says everything is fine since it was all clean and cold, just dump the cheese and wash the knife.
I have thrown the cheese (small part anyway) and keep the knife in a bag, I will ask my rav tomorrow. I've asked on askmoses and they told me to ask my rav.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:51 pm
Dh, said it was just yesterday night's daf yomi. You dont need to discard all the cheese , just cdei klipa (the small part that the knife touched) ..

The knife just needs to be washed off thoroughly.. Sticking in earth only works if is very hard earth that hasnt been planted in all season.. If the knife was used within 24 hours on something sharp or pungent, then you need leebin kal (stick the blade in a flame ) ..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen