Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Folding plastic tablecloths?

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:20 pm
Sooo... we like to cover our shabbos tablecloth with a thick plastic tablecloth to protect it from getting dirty every single week. I don't like the thin disposable ones - first of all they don't feel so shabbosdik to me, and secondly I try to minimize disposables in general due to the expense and waste. And they're flimsy, all you need is a young guest with poky fingers to totally defeat the purpose.

Problem: Putting it away. It sticks to itself making it really unwieldy to unfold, and then it has these uchy creases all over no matter how neatly we've folded it. No idea how to get these creases to shake out before shabbos.

We have only one table so we really aren't going to leave the shabbos tablecloth on all week.

Help!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:28 pm
My MIL, a"h did it right -- she kept the tissue paper it came folded with and each week refolded it with the tissue.

Another way (though a pain to store) is to find some kind of a tube and roll it up around the tube.

Just ideas, I don't bother with either (though I also only use hard plastic occasionally) -- I just fight the creases (and find they pretty much settle down after being on the table an hour or two).

im here!

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:37 pm
We tried the tube by my moms house, was a real hassle to roll on AND it didnt come out nicer.

Never tried the paper between, but we just buy a new one every year for pesach.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:44 pm
I put the vochdike tablelcoth right on top of it. Easier.

kaye

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:45 pm
What about putting your weekday tablecloth on top? Is it big enough to cover the sides?

mummy-bh

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 3:46 pm
We got an empty tube from the fellow who sold it to us. Rolling is really the best way!

I don't use them any more though.

I have a couple of friends who keep the thick plastic clean by putting a thin plastic on top, and changing that as necessary.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 4:05 pm
I actually thought of putting the weekday tablecloth on top but the white tablecloth is wider than the plastic ones. It sticks out on Shabbos but I figure for one day it'll probably be OK and if it gets stained, so we'll wash it. But I don't think it would survive so well all week! Never mind looking a bit dorky. I guess I could handle looking a little dorky...

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 4:19 pm
Why doesn't the rolling work for you? I turn the plastic to the side of the table, so the part that I'm rolloing is completely on the table and it's fine. If I don't use a disposable on top, after I wash the plastic with soap and water, I just get it a little wet and dry it and that helps get off any stickiness from the soap. It also has to be completely dry. Did any of that make sense?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics