Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you work part time - what do you do?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 12:09 pm
Private teacher/tutor. You can choose to teach kids, adults, teens, whatever level you want (often a high level means a better pay).

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 5:41 pm
Im an attorney.

Law scool is 3 years, as Im sure you know Wink

I had a great experience with starting my family and working as a lawyer. With my first, I worked until about 3 weeks before the baby. I took about 4 months maternity leave (unpaid of course). I came back at 2 days a week. With my second I came back also after around 5 months. There are ALLL sorts of law firms. Big firms often have flex time or 3/4 time options. Small firms are even more flexible bc often they are mom and pop shops and the partner will be flexible if he likes you. Of course, you wont be on partner track or excel in your career as much as you would if you were full time, but if your concern here is a career where you can likely be part time (not whether you will make partner and totally rise to the top), law is one.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 8:58 pm
Hi, OP here, thanks everyone for your responses. Amother who offered to PM me, thanks so much but we don't live near each other so it's not applicable. I did some talking to a few social workers in my agency and got some more info. For counseling, which is to get an LCSW, I understood that you need to do a few years of full time clinical work while under the supervision of an LCSW. Also there are additional courses you can take once you have an LCSW to specialize in areas such as family counseling, marital therapy, etc. So it sounds like a long road, but I think I'd be happy just having an LMSW to start. Any social workers here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Im an attorney.

Law scool is 3 years, as Im sure you know Wink

I had a great experience with starting my family and working as a lawyer. With my first, I worked until about 3 weeks before the baby. I took about 4 months maternity leave (unpaid of course). I came back at 2 days a week. With my second I came back also after around 5 months. There are ALLL sorts of law firms. Big firms often have flex time or 3/4 time options. Small firms are even more flexible bc often they are mom and pop shops and the partner will be flexible if he likes you. Of course, you wont be on partner track or excel in your career as much as you would if you were full time, but if your concern here is a career where you can likely be part time (not whether you will make partner and totally rise to the top), law is one.

Thanks for your suggestion! I've had an interest in law but I was always under the impression that it's a cut-throat field and you have to be very competitive and put in 80 hour work weeks. I've also heard that there are no jobs these days.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 22 2010, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
Hi, OP here, thanks everyone for your responses. Amother who offered to PM me, thanks so much but we don't live near each other so it's not applicable. I did some talking to a few social workers in my agency and got some more info. For counseling, which is to get an LCSW, I understood that you need to do a few years of full time clinical work while under the supervision of an LCSW. Also there are additional courses you can take once you have an LCSW to specialize in areas such as family counseling, marital therapy, etc. So it sounds like a long road, but I think I'd be happy just having an LMSW to start. Any social workers here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm the amother who lives in Pennsylvania. A slight correction to what you heard: you CAN do the clinical work to get your LCSW part-time. It just takes longer, like anything part time. Once you have the LMSW (or just LSW, as it's called in some places), you can start working towards that goal of getting your LCSW. Also, the LCSW is necessary if you want to go into private practice, but you can obviously do other types of therapy in various settings with just the LMSW.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics