Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Internet provider DLS OPTIMUM or anyting in between

minime

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 8:33 am
Which internet provider do u use, and why?

I am looking to get the most speed for my money.

Kayza

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 10:48 am
In most communities there are up to three options (not all options are available everywhere)

DSL
Cable
Fiber.

DSL is usually provided by your local telephone company and may also be provided by other companies. It can be a good buy if you already have a standard land line, because DSL uses that line. The lowest price DSL is usually the cheapest connection you can get, but it is also generally the slowest connection you can get. However, depending on what you need, it can be just fine. Also, some providers (like Verizon) will give some very good deals if you are willing to bundle other services (eg get your land line from them, or also get wireless service from them), good enough prices that it can be quite cost effective to get a higher priced connection, if you can use it.

Cable - usually there is only one provider in a given neighborhood. At its best it tends to be fast, and some of the providers will give you higher speeds for an additional fee. I find that the cable provider in my area is more difficult to deal with in some ways (their field techs really act like robots and are often none too competent, unlike the Verizon guys who are mostly very good.) However, I don't know where you are, so I have no idea if that is true in your area. Also, DSL does not get as affected by usage - with cable if a lot of people are using it at the same time, you may see a speed hit. Depending on how well the provider is set up in your area, and how many people use it or not, the effect you see can vary. If you are willing to use multiple services (eg internet and phone) you may get a better deal. I would never want my only phone to be VOIP though, because that will go down in a blackout, while a regular land line phone won't (assuming you have a plain phone without many features.)

Fiber - it is, in many ways the "gold standard" for service available in the home. In most areas Verizon is the only provider, and it's not inexpensive. They call the service FIOS. But, according to every survey I have read, the satisfaction rates are a world higher than for other services. Reliability is excellent, as is speed. Multiple services are more cost effective than just internet - assuming you need and want them. Also, in some cases going to FIOS is a one way journey - apparently in osme cases they need to take out the copper to put in the fiber, so in those cases, you need to be very sure you want to do this.

minime

Post Sun, Nov 21 2010, 11:10 am
Kayza wrote:
In most communities there are up to three options (not all options are available everywhere)

DSL
Cable
Fiber.

DSL is usually provided by your local telephone company and may also be provided by other companies. It can be a good buy if you already have a standard land line, because DSL uses that line. The lowest price DSL is usually the cheapest connection you can get, but it is also generally the slowest connection you can get. However, depending on what you need, it can be just fine. Also, some providers (like Verizon) will give some very good deals if you are willing to bundle other services (eg get your land line from them, or also get wireless service from them), good enough prices that it can be quite cost effective to get a higher priced connection, if you can use it.

Cable - usually there is only one provider in a given neighborhood. At its best it tends to be fast, and some of the providers will give you higher speeds for an additional fee. I find that the cable provider in my area is more difficult to deal with in some ways (their field techs really act like robots and are often none too competent, unlike the Verizon guys who are mostly very good.) However, I don't know where you are, so I have no idea if that is true in your area. Also, DSL does not get as affected by usage - with cable if a lot of people are using it at the same time, you may see a speed hit. Depending on how well the provider is set up in your area, and how many people use it or not, the effect you see can vary. If you are willing to use multiple services (eg internet and phone) you may get a better deal. I would never want my only phone to be VOIP though, because that will go down in a blackout, while a regular land line phone won't (assuming you have a plain phone without many features.)

Fiber - it is, in many ways the "gold standard" for service available in the home. In most areas Verizon is the only provider, and it's not inexpensive. They call the service FIOS. But, according to every survey I have read, the satisfaction rates are a world higher than for other services. Reliability is excellent, as is speed. Multiple services are more cost effective than just internet - assuming you need and want them. Also, in some cases going to FIOS is a one way journey - apparently in osme cases they need to take out the copper to put in the fiber, so in those cases, you need to be very sure you want to do this.
[quote]

Wow! Amazing post!! u really know yr stuff!
RIght now I have DSL still on trial. not very happy wiht the speed and they charge tons of tax. Optimum/cable is my next choice cuz of the price and speed yet u mean that if there is a blackout I wont have phone service with optimum????

Kayza

Post Thu, Nov 25 2010, 3:22 pm
minime wrote:
RIght now I have DSL still on trial. not very happy wiht the speed and they charge tons of tax. Optimum/cable is my next choice cuz of the price and speed yet u mean that if there is a blackout I wont have phone service with optimum????
If you are using Optimum for your phone line, then yes, if you have a blackout, you will lose phone service.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics