Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Recipe for egg free donuts

rachelli613

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 11:13 am
does anyone have a good recipe for egg free donuts?

w/o egg replacer.

thanks!

allrgymama

Post Wed, Dec 22 2010, 2:40 pm
There's a woman by the name of Kelly Rudnicki who blogs at www.foodallergymama.com

She has a cookbook out now called 'The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book (Great Dairy, Egg and Nut Free Treats for the Whole Family)'

The book is FANTASTIC and I recommend that everyone buy it and read her blog on a regular basis (she shares recipes pretty frequently, if you don't want to buy the book or can't find it at your library).

I use McCormick's ground nutmeg; it's a tiny little container. You can buy it in Shop-Rite; most 'Jewish' grocery stores tend to stick to heimish brands.

This is her recipe for Apple House Cinnamon Doughnuts:

Doughnuts

Vegetable oil, for frying
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 TBSP dairy-free margarine, melted
4 1/2 - 4 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup soy OR rice milk

Cinnamon Sugar, for rolling:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

In a large, heavy pot, heat 2-3 inches of vegetable oil (until candy thermometer inserted in oil reaches 375 F

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the applesauce, vanilla and 3/4 cup sugar. Add the margarine and mix well. In a separate medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt with a wire whisk. Add the flour mixture and soy milk, alternating, into the applesauce-margarine mixture. Add more flour, if needed, to make a smooth and not-too-sticky dough.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured board. Knead for about 1 minute, and roll out to 1/2 inch thick circle (my note: like you would for a round pizza dough). Dip a doughnut cutter into flour, and cut into the dough. Remove the trimmings and reroll, repeating the process.

Slide a few doughnuts into the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pot. Fry until the doughnuts rise to the surface, about 2 minutes, and turn over with metal tongs to fry the other side. Doughnuts should be golden brown on both sides. Lift out the doughnuts with metal tongs and drain on paper towels.

Mix together the 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Place the mixture into a brown paper lunch bag (my note: I used a small, covered Pyrex container). Place the warm doughnuts, one at a time, in the brown bag, and shake to coat. Shake off excess sugar, and place on a serving platter. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.

More of my notes: I think my doughnut cutter was about 3 inches across and this recipe made a gazillion doughnuts; it made so many, I ended up tossing 1/3 of the batter. This recipe says that it's supposed to make 12 doughnuts (and 12 doughnut holes), so maybe I did something wrong. Don't know.

These are also wonderful right when they come out of the pan, but quickly dry out and turn hard (again, it's possible I did something wrong). I would suggest halving the recipe to start out with and see how they come out.

If you don't have a doughnut cutter and can't go out to buy one (they're fairly cheap, but you have to actually go out and then toivel it), I'd use a glass turned upside down. Then take a clean soda bottle cap (or something similar in size) to cut out a 'hole'. You can use a toothpick to then get the dough out of the cap.

AH! I remember -- I did do something wrong. I forgot to melt the margarine before adding it to my mixer. I have no idea of what kind of a difference that made since I only made this recipe once (this past Chakanuh).

Enjoy it!

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 2:53 am
I used the one from the secret donut recipe website. I made them for Chanuka and shaped them into smallish round balls rather than the doughnut shape

secret donut recipe
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics