Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Giving Shiurim for Teenagers? WWYD?

bashabelle

Post Sun, Jan 02 2011, 6:21 am
Random question, I don't know to what forum it belongs but here goes...

I'YH I will be giving a few short classes to high school students in a few weeks, I have no experience teaching this age, very little teaching experience at all. I have some experience teaching in the kiruv college setting but I feel High School is very different. Not to mention I've never put together a formal class, just shmooze sessions and one on ones.

I NEED your help, imamothers of teenagers and imamother teachers/kiruv workers. What does this age talk about/think about?

There will be a few classes:two for not-yet-religious teens, and one for yeshiva day students who are "greatly in need of inspiration." They will most likely be discussion based in format with me giving an explanatory introduction and conclusion.

So far, I think I want to speak about love/relationships in one class, true meaning of happiness in another. I still need a third topic and I need sources for all of them. I've checked out aish.com and I'm so overwhelmed by the amount of info they have, I don't know where to start or how to start putting together a class.

(If you work in NCSY/HS age outreach please pm me, I'd LOVE the help.)

Aylat

Post Wed, Jan 05 2011, 4:22 am
I teach HS but not kiruv or Jewish Studies (mainly).

However, here's an idea I heard once and used in a small Jewish Studies class - you might have to adapt it for a larger class. It was used to start a discussion about tznius, but also suitable for both the topics you mentioned - relationships and happiness.

Everybody gets slip of paper and has to write 3 things that they want to be put on their gravestone/said at their funeral. Teacher/discussion leader also does this, but instead of a genuine contribution, writes 3 ridiculously superficial things eg also had immaculate nails, perfect abs, gorgeous shade of eyes. All slips of paper gathered in, shuffled, and handed out again to different ppl. Each person reads out entry they've been given, comments allowed (repsectfully). When the superficial entry reached, ppl will comment on how ridiculous etc. Teacher plays devil's advocate defending this entry (with or without revealing that they wrote it) (I care about the way I look, I'd like others to remember me this way) thus drawing out pupils ideas and forcing them to define what's truly important and meaningful.

If you're talking about tznius you then follow up with - then why focus on what's not eternally important etc. Similar for happiness and relationships.

Hope this helps?? If you've got other ideas and want further input, I'll be happy to give if I can.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children