Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
How to make shabbos lunch roast in slow cooker?

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:22 pm
How do I make a roast for shabbos lunch in the slow cooker without it drying out?

Do I cook the roast on Friday morning and put it on warm for Shabbos?
Do I just put it on low for Shabbos?
Do I put it in frozen on low for Shabbos?

Do I put in sauce halfway up or cover in completely? I was probably just going to mix cranberry sauce, soy sauce, water and stick garlic and peppercorns in the roast.

Is this a bad idea? I've only ever made it on yentiv when I could leave the base of the slow cooker on and add the bowl of food when needed or put it on timer.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:30 pm
Teacup9 wrote:
How do I make a roast for shabbos lunch in the slow cooker without it drying out?

Do I cook the roast on Friday morning and put it on warm for Shabbos?
Do I just put it on low for Shabbos?
Do I put it in frozen on low for Shabbos?

Do I put in sauce halfway up or cover in completely? I was probably just going to mix cranberry sauce, soy sauce, water and stick garlic and peppercorns in the roast.

Is this a bad idea? I've only ever made it on yentiv when I could leave the base of the slow cooker on and add the bowl of food when needed or put it on timer.

I've done it, and the roast always overcooks, even when left on warm overnight. to my mind, it's a waste of good meat. roast is good cold, though.

lollygirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:31 pm
Here's what I do...it's delicious and the house smells amazing.

-1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-Sprinkling of parsley flakes
-1 cup of beef broth
-2 stalks celery
-3 carrots
-5 small potatoes
-2-4 lb. chuck roast
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 packet dry onion soup mix

Take the chuck roast and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the slow cooker and add the everything else. Cover and cook on low setting.

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:34 pm
lollygirl wrote:
Here's what I do...it's delicious and the house smells amazing.

-1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-Sprinkling of parsley flakes
-1 cup of beef broth
-2 stalks celery
-3 carrots
-5 small potatoes
-2-4 lb. chuck roast
-salt and pepper to taste
-1 packet dry onion soup mix

Take the chuck roast and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place in the slow cooker and add the everything else. Cover and cook on low setting.

You cook on a low setting from when Shabbos begins until lunch time? And it never dries out? Do you put it in frozen?

Teacup9

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:37 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

I've done it, and the roast always overcooks, even when left on warm overnight. to my mind, it's a waste of good meat. roast is good cold, though.

I was afraid of this Crying
Have you ever tried it frozen?

I don't like cold roast. I wonder how dry it would be if I cooked it in the morning, sliced it and left only very dry pieces that I could put on the blech in the morning. Or I could leave it cold like you said and make a sauce in the crock pot to pour on the cold pieces before eating. Hmmm.

lollygirl

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:39 pm
Yes, put it in frozen! Otherwise it will dry out. Make sure you use chuck roast.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 13 2011, 4:42 pm
lollygirl wrote:
Yes, put it in frozen! Otherwise it will dry out. Make sure you use chuck roast.

interesting. never thought to do that, though I tend to use frozen meat about 50% of the time anyway. maybe it's my particular crock pot.

I like roast cold, though, so it isn't an issue for me Smile

Teacup9

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 9:54 am
Ut oh. My roast is silver tipped.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 10:14 am
How are you going to slice it on Shabbos ?

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jan 14 2011, 10:17 am
Teacup9 wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

I was afraid of this Crying
Have you ever tried it frozen?

I don't like cold roast. I wonder how dry it would be if I cooked it in the morning, sliced it and left only very dry pieces that I could put on the blech in the morning. Or I could leave it cold like you said and make a sauce in the crock pot to pour on the cold pieces before eating. Hmmm.

DON'T DO THIS! You may as well throw it in the trash. That's what I had to do! Crying
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics