Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Taking kids out of school for a private day out with mommy
Previous  1  2  3

farm

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 1:13 pm
This type of scenario has been presented in the chinuch forum in the Yetad more than once. IIRC, the mechanchim range from being okay with it to thinking it's a fantastic thing to do. I do remember that Rabbi Bender is one of them who very strongly recommends it.

Strawberry2

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 3:38 pm
Sounds like a great idea. all children need it.
I would be worried about their school!

cl

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:01 pm
its been quite good this year as my oldest son is at school and my 2nd son is still in kindegarten so their school holidays are slightly different, one might have a few days extra at the beginning of the week or the other will have off 2 or 3 days for Chof Beis Shevat and the other won't so it gives me time to do something a bit more exciting with the child who is home from school an is suitable for his age and not the others, like ice-skating for the older one.

do u think the child who is having 'mummy day' will feel its not a 'real' mummy day if I have my young toddler with me too? he doesnt go 2 play-group so unless my husband is home the toddler has to come with me everywhere.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
While its a wonderful idea my kids are so upset about missing a day of school, that they go to school no matter how sick they may be. I am sometimes called to come and get them because they cannot sit through the day! They hate missing school! That said, I once decided to take them to Washington for 2 days, from Motzei Shabbos through Monday night. When I woke my daughter to tell her, she did not believe me that I would purposely make her absent to do that. Well we went and had a wonderful time. We are thinking of doing it again during the upcoming Presidents weekend. While many kids go out and have a "shopping day" my kids hate shopping, they hate eating out, so we manage to have our together time the rest of the time. They don't love school but hate being absent and having to make up the work.
Amother because we get in trouble if we take our kids anywhere....without school permission and of course never allowed to go anywhere on school time, not even a doctor's appointment!

If I may ask, what school do your kids go to that they love it so much? or is it just their personalities?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:40 pm
farm wrote:
This type of scenario has been presented in the chinuch forum in the Yetad more than once. IIRC, the mechanchim range from being okay with it to thinking it's a fantastic thing to do. I do remember that Rabbi Bender is one of them who very strongly recommends it.

well then it shouldnt be a problem, at least for our boys- we are planning on sendingthem to darchei Smile

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 4:42 pm
Fabulous wrote:
amother wrote:
While its a wonderful idea my kids are so upset about missing a day of school, that they go to school no matter how sick they may be. I am sometimes called to come and get them because they cannot sit through the day! They hate missing school! That said, I once decided to take them to Washington for 2 days, from Motzei Shabbos through Monday night. When I woke my daughter to tell her, she did not believe me that I would purposely make her absent to do that. Well we went and had a wonderful time. We are thinking of doing it again during the upcoming Presidents weekend. While many kids go out and have a "shopping day" my kids hate shopping, they hate eating out, so we manage to have our together time the rest of the time. They don't love school but hate being absent and having to make up the work.
Amother because we get in trouble if we take our kids anywhere....without school permission and of course never allowed to go anywhere on school time, not even a doctor's appointment!

If I may ask, what school do your kids go to that they love it so much? or is it just their personalities?

I may be wrong, but I didnt see anywhere in the post you quuoted that her kids dont like missing school because they love it- in fact- she WROTE that her kids dont love school but hate being absent and having to make up the work.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 6:22 pm
akivachaya wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
amother wrote:

I may be wrong, but I didnt see anywhere in the post you quuoted that her kids dont like missing school because they love it- in fact- she WROTE that her kids dont love school but hate being absent and having to make up the work.

I guess you read it more carefully. They really do not like school at all, just hate missing it and having to make up loads of work. Their school gives them tons of tests and homework, and some of the teachers belong in a nursing home, literally. I wish there were alternative solutions and better schools but there arent any yet. I pray and hope to see in my lifetime improvement in the quality of education for our children. If not, then in the future for sure, there is no way that this can go on and on like this.
Meanwhile, my kids want to be top students, and want to get the best marks, even though I try to tell them that average is fine with me, and that they do not need to be top students in order to feel good.
The school is very competitive and they just succeed in motivating the students to succeed.
I think its ridiculous that they even have to spend Shabbos studying, they have hardly any spare time for themselves. Its probably their personalities, but I was not like that at all, so I have no clue where it came from. I beg them to let go a bit, and that a 95 is also perfectly fine. Even an 80 would be beautiful for me.
The material is so hard, why they have to memorize the stuff is beyond me, they will never need most of the information in their life, and if they do they can always look it up.
I loved school when I went to school, but I do not remember working so hard.

Mkay

Post Wed, Jan 19 2011, 7:18 pm
I find it great to take kids out other time too, one on one. Ex. My kids love going with their Totty to shul to daven Mincha or Maariv before bedtime. It is a real treat for them.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children