Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Real food or junk food mishloach manos

Seraph

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:08 pm
What type of mishloach manos do you prefer to get? Real food or nosh?

shaini

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:12 pm
How about a little of both. It does depend who I send to as I have an unemployed friend who is struggling so definately real food for her but for those with young children I like to include some junk food and for the elderly I prefer real food. I don't like sending junk food that contains too much sweets. I know I shouldn't connect another thread of yours I just read but is there any way of including well wrapped pesadick food within your mishloach manos to help others out (ie chocolate) as it is impossible to eat all the food sent on or soon after Purim.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:22 pm
me- real
my dc- nosh Wink

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 5:55 pm
If I know you well and you make good food that we like then food, otherwise nosh.

Thats my order form Smile

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 7:54 pm
I would say a mix of both.
When I was a little kid I really looked forward to the junk!!!

cl

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 8:25 pm
both Smile
I love real food but kids and DH prefer nosh

justanothermom

Post Sun, Jan 23 2011, 11:58 pm
I love to get the real food,

husband and children like the nosh.

The only thing is that I feel less guilty getting rid of the nosh. It's also easier. I feel terrible when someone gives me real food (especially hom-prepared) that I can't use because then I can't even give it away, whereas leftover nosh, I don't really feel bad, plus the schools collect it (as long as it's store-bought).

fiddle

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:01 am
Food, if it's good. If not, maybe a wine and a fruit. I end up throwing out the nosh.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 12:09 am
shaini wrote:
How about a little of both. It does depend who I send to as I have an unemployed friend who is struggling so definately real food for her but for those with young children I like to include some junk food and for the elderly I prefer real food. I don't like sending junk food that contains too much sweets. I know I shouldn't connect another thread of yours I just read but is there any way of including well wrapped pesadick food within your mishloach manos to help others out (ie chocolate) as it is impossible to eat all the food sent on or soon after Purim.

My IL's only send KLP stuff to us (their children). We get a big box with honey, tea, olive oil, wine, chocolate, etc. All KLP - it's great because this is when I officially start Pesach. This is where I will start keeping my Pesach stuff until it's to change over.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 1:00 am
I try to send real food but I prepare only a certain amount of mishloach manot and whoever comes to the door that I didn't think would, gets recycled mm made up of mostly junk that I don't want my kids eating. Hardly ever does that happen though - many give a donation through the shul and only give the required mm.

I would prefer getting real food and I know my friends will be inundated with junk and certainly won't miss it if I don't send any.

This year will probably be a homemade challah roll and a small pareve quiche of some kind. Isn't the food supposed to be something you can eat at the seudah?

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 2:47 am
Yes, the food is supposed to be something you can eat at the seudah. Which is why I usually send baked goods; it's both "nosh-y" and can be used for dessert at the seudah (I only bake pareve). I will add a small bag of "real" nosh for people with little kids.

Liba

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 3:09 am
I make bagels and we send bagels, cream cheese and bags of chocolate milk. I make for my kids teachers, aids, therapists, neighbors and the ladies who come for magilah.

They are always well received. Some ladies come early for magilah to eat their breakfast.

I appreciate real food as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics