Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What to tell the cleaner?

gs675

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 10:27 am
Do you tell your cleaner what to do in a certain amount of time? or do you just let her do whatever she can in the time or the other way around, you tell her what you want and let her do it how long she wants. Im starting out with a new cleaner and I dont know what to say?

SingALong

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 10:30 am
I play it by ear. with a new cleaner anyways, they can be overwhelmed so I tell them instructions one job at a time. I expect things to be done in the amount of time it takes me but it usually takes them longer ( hey they do get paid by the hour!)

I do find that after time when they get comfortable with a routine and what needs to be done then tasks end up taking a bit quicker.

once I see how long things take, I can judge what they can do each time they come and then give a list of instructions.

gs675

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 10:35 am
thanks for the reply, but I feel so bad giving instructions. Especially cause the cleaners are older than me. Do you ever feel bad?

So you mean you tell her please clean the toilet, then when she's finished you tell her now clean this or that and so on?

granolamom

Post Fri, Feb 04 2011, 12:11 pm
I do what singalong does. and yes, I have a hard time giving instructions, so I try to hire only people who know how to clean and are self starters. that said, when I do need to give instructions I usually phrase it as a request, 'if you have time today, would you try to get to the guest bathroom? I noticed its needing some tlc. thanks'
as far as when to do what, I try to let her decide what works for her as long as it works for me too. my cleaning lady likes to do the kitchen last, but I like it done first. so I just asked her, would you mind starting with the kitchen? and so she does, I dont think she really cares, she wants me to be happy with her work. I think as long as you are respectful and nice about it, you can ask her to do things they way you need them done.
and of course, a compliment here and there never hurt anyone either.

ice coffee

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 2:04 pm
you could make a list of what you would like done and give it to her. This can be done in a very nice way and then you feel like you will be getting your moneys worth.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Feb 05 2011, 2:43 pm
many ways of saying what you want come across differently, depending on how you say it. if you give her the feeling that she is helping you(yes, she does take money, but its hard work!) , or if she gets the impression that you think she is your slave.

think of how you would want it conveyed to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry