Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Which internet filter?
Previous  1  2

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 3:50 pm
Open DNS. It's free, relatively easy to use once you get used to it, and you can blacklist and whitelist to your heart's content. You pick and choose things that you want available (yes to news, no to gambling, malware, [filth], etc).

listenhere

Post Tue, Jan 04 2011, 4:14 pm
I use Jnet and am very happy with it. They have many filter levels to support your needs and their support is great.

nice and easy

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 5:20 pm
Whats the diference between K9 and Open DNS?

frimamom

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 6:13 pm
I use K9 and am very happy with it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 9:00 pm
OpenDNS is a DNS resolution method -- redirecting sites to the IP. [All sites have a numerical address; it's just impossible to memorize them all so we have domain names that send it to that address.] It is too easy to bypass the filter by using IPs instead of domain names...K9 doesn't have the same vulnerability. Also K9 is better at categorizing sites; openDNS is based on having a set amount of users report a site as being one of the excluded categories. OpenDNS is a cool tool -- you can make shortcuts like mail go to gmail.com, it basically enters nicknames for dns (like you would in /etc/hosts if that means anything to you) but it's not as good as K9 in terms of filtering.

birds

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 8:42 pm
I am extremely satisfied with MATZAVNET. I have regular cable service but my filter is matzav and it works great especially level 1

Kayza

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:21 pm
Simple1 wrote:

It sounds like a good program, but I would worry about my privacy. Sometimes people can go to sites that are not wrong, but you just want to keep private - such as looking up info on a medical or mental health condition. I'm also not thrilled about people knowing how often or where I go shopping or any silly site I may have visited.

That's why you have to choose the right chaver. In fact, some people just use their spouse - it provides the accountability without the issue of sharing information that you don't want anyone else to know, such as medical conditions.

imeinu

Post Tue, Feb 15 2011, 9:36 pm
We use YeshivaNet which basically is a White List.
I really need access to the whole Web for my Buisness so in addition I have a plug in stick to go on "the whole web" for an hour a day.
By us the problem is not just bad stuff but Dh is a political junkie and can spend hours on the web so we restrict access.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars