Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do I know if these online schools are legitimate?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 2:54 am
I am trying to study to further my ability for a better paying job.
I would not be able to get to a campus so I have been looking into different things on line.
Does anyone know how I can tell if a university or website on line is legitimate or not?

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:27 am
Are you sure you're posting in the right section? (Or maybe you want to post here to be anon?) Check to see who the school is accredited by and if it is affiliated w/ a brick-and-mortar school. Just make sure you are picking a reputable program--no need to spend time and money on a school that won't get you anywhere.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:30 am
embarrassed Smile I thought I had posted in the working women forum, but I guess I goofed.

Anyway, I remember someone mentioning that there is some sort of certification for on line schools that are truly accredited.

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:34 am
I am wary of online schools, but would personally trust this program, as it is affiliated with SUNY (the State University of New York): http://sln.suny.edu/dg/dg_overview.shtml

4ofus

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:35 am
You have to do research and find out who they're accredited by. Then you should find out if that is a legitimate accreditation (google it- there is a list somewhere online). Finally, you should do research and see if the field you want to go into respects degrees from online schools. Good Luck!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 8:51 am
you can also call TTI. They have programs everywhere and are set up for out of town students too. Very quick way to get a good degree through frum people and there's no classes if it's a straight up bachelors (if you want speech or nutrition or whatever you'll have online or correspondence courses)
718-376-0974 x0
(posting anon bec I obviously work for them and there aren't many employees so I don't want my ID figured out)

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
you can also call TTI. They have programs everywhere and are set up for out of town students too. Very quick way to get a good degree through frum people and there's no classes if it's a straight up bachelors (if you want speech or nutrition or whatever you'll have online or correspondence courses)
718-376-0974 x0
(posting anon bec I obviously work for them and there aren't many employees so I don't want my ID figured out)
I do not live in the united states. I am looking either for a secretarial or bookkeeping school/course.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
718-376-0974 x0
FTR whoever does go through TTI should still do research about the schools that they are affiliated with, see how graduate programs and employers accept the degree. Just sayin.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
718-376-0974 x0
FTR whoever does go through TTI should still do research about the schools that they are affiliated with, see how graduate programs and employers accept the degree. Just sayin.

it's a regionally accredited school. only touro won't take it bec it's their competition. and they take some girls on an individual basis. I've had students go to columbia from TTI.

There's a program in England and in Israel too if you're there...we don't have bookkeeping though.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 12:59 pm
My DD is torn between a CUNY school and TTI. How is TTI acceptable to Masters level-graduate programs if there's barely a GPA. The CLEPS are pass/fail so what is the GPA consist of and do graduate schools really see TTI-EXcelsior college BA as equivalent to a 4 year undergrad college. amother above me please let me know where else TTI is accepted. My DD wants to attend Hunter School of Social Work and get her MSW. How could I get a list of people to talk to that would know what colleges TTI graduates were accepted to??

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
My DD is torn between a CUNY school and TTI. How is TTI acceptable to Masters level-graduate programs if there's barely a GPA. The CLEPS are pass/fail so what is the GPA consist of and do graduate schools really see TTI-EXcelsior college BA as equivalent to a 4 year undergrad college. amother above me please let me know where else TTI is accepted. My DD wants to attend Hunter School of Social Work and get her MSW. How could I get a list of people to talk to that would know what colleges TTI graduates were accepted to??

There is a GPA. The girls mostly take Jewish Exams which are graded and put into their GPA. Most students only take one or two CLEPs max. It's changed a lot in the past few years. The graduate schools see that there's a bachelor's from Excelsior College which is a very good college. I've made a few calls to graduate programs and they all say that as long as it's a regionally accredited college, they will take it.
I have some students who went to Adelphi for social work. I don't know about Hunter (I'm not in Brooklyn) but I know they are compiling a list of where students move on from TTI. Call them and speak to them, they would know better than I do.
We are offering an online MA in Mental Health through Nova Southeastern University if that's helpful to your dd.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:11 pm
My DD is doing her MA in counseling through TTI. Their graduate program for counseling runs through Nova State University in FL. There are Israelis in her program; don't know about accounting, though.

The nice thing about doing it through TTI is when there is subject matter specific to the Jewish community, occasionally has the numbers to get the professors to do a special class just for frum TTI students.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 1:34 pm
I don't have any agenda in posting this, I don't work for any institutions or have any gripes with them, but-

I believe that many graduate programs are hesitant to accept graduates of tti or similar online/correspondence programs. They will say they accept degrees from any accredited school, but they won't say that they are likely to give preference to students of known institutions. Hunter especially is an extremely competitive program, and I would be surprised if they accept tti grads (though they would never say it straight out)

I can also say that I worked in a well known special ed school in Brooklyn, and the director dis not hire teachers who were grads of tti because she was not satisfied with their level of education.

Just some thoughts to consider.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 2:53 pm
it's very hard to do all the work from an online school, and it takes time to get a teacher to answer your questions.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
718-376-0974 x0

it's a regionally accredited school. only touro won't take it bec it's their competition. and they take some girls on an individual basis. I've had students go to columbia from TTI.

There's a program in England and in Israel too if you're there...we don't have bookkeeping though.
First of all, what does TTI stand for?
Second, what program is there in israel?

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Feb 20 2011, 7:59 pm
http://www.detc.org/
this lists accredited distance education school.

bigmomma

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 6:43 am
ATTENTION AMOTHER ABOVE WHO SEEMS TO KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT TTI
Can you PM me a list of graduate schools TTI girls were accepted to or who specifically she can talk to at TTI about such a list?
If a girl does not know both Yiddish and Hebrew well, rather only one of these languages, how could she get the credits she would be short if she only took one language test?
If you can answer my questions, TTI may just have acquired a new student!
My DD is seriously considering TTI but needs the answer to these two questions first.
TIA!

amother

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 6:48 am
OP here.
Again I ask, what is TTI? Never heard of it, can someone explain what it is?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette