Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I hate purim!!

busymum

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 1:01 am
purim is becoming more stressful with each passing year.
today my 11 year old dd came home from school quite sad that nobody wants to dress up with her at school. it seems that from around age 8 now you are a nobody if you dress up alone. she told she was rejected wherever she turned even by "good friends" as they had made deals and arrangements months ago. clearly there is no room for one girl to join anybody's group.
I am at the point of keeping her home from school on purim to protect her. why do the children have to grow up so quickly and move to this "teen mentality" of exclusion at such a yound age?
anyone with advice or chizuk??

LeahW

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:00 am
busymum wrote:
purim is becoming more stressful with each passing year.
today my 11 year old dd came home from school quite sad that nobody wants to dress up with her at school. it seems that from around age 8 now you are a nobody if you dress up alone. she told she was rejected wherever she turned even by "good friends" as they had made deals and arrangements months ago. clearly there is no room for one girl to join anybody's group.
I am at the point of keeping her home from school on purim to protect her. why do the children have to grow up so quickly and move to this "teen mentality" of exclusion at such a yound age?
anyone with advice or chizuk??

Can you speak to her teacher about this? A school should not allow this kind of exclusion.

cassandra

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 3:12 am
Help her come up with something clever to show that she is confident being solo-- something a bit jokey to show that she's okay being the only one alone. She's only as pathetic as she allows herself to be, and I think as a mother you should encourage her to "be above" this, and show that she's happy with herself even if she wasn't included at this time. And if it's a good idea, next year lots of girls will want to dress up with her...

If your daughter doesn't have the confidence to pull this off, I'd start working on that.

bubule

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 9:18 am
I agree with cassandra,
I don't think it's the best to keep her home ;
You are just making her feel even more left out
You may help her to find a costume that goes only to one person, something special and original...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics