Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When to give fish

BasHashem

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 9:45 am
I rememeber hearing one should not give a child fish, unitl he can say FISH, does anyone know if this is a minhag, halacha, or health issue?
what age did you first give your baby fish.

I sound like a new mom LOL embarrassed
Bahashem

proudmom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 9:52 am
Fish can be started between 9 to 12 months old but if you have fish allergies in your family then you should wait till your child is 4 years old.

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 10:43 am
gefilte fish is one of the favorite baby foods - soft, yammy, filling

so as long as there are no allergies, and the first foods went well, go ahead!

zuncompany

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 11:17 am
My frum ped. encouraged us to start gefilta fish at 9 months. Its a great source of protein and most kids loved it. When Zu has weight gaining issues I even fried it up for him and he loved it!!!

sara

1stimer

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 11:31 am
sara I've heard of giving oil to babies who aren't putting on enough weight before, but I don't understand it. isn't oil just bad fats?

zuncompany

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 11:40 am
not all of them. We were told canola oil is best (later found out this was part of the problem!! AHH! He is allergic to mustard. Well canola is a relative of mustard seed.). Not all oil is equal. I don't know how to explain it all... maybe rydys can explain.
We were also told to give him spoonfuls of mayo. GROSS!
sara

proudmom

Post Wed, Feb 02 2005, 11:49 am
Best oils

avacado
olive
canola
safflower
corn
soy
other oils hight in polyunsaturates

Good

margarine with polyunsaturated to saturated fat ratio of 2:1 or better
peanut
cottonseed (a little higher in saturated fats

Bad

palm and palm kernel oil
coconut
cocoa butter
hydronated vegatable fat or shortening
chicken or other poultry fat
Suet (beef fat)
butter*
partially hydronated fats

source: The Book "what to expect the first year"

*if your family prefers the taste of butter as a spread, using small amounts (no more that a pat - 1 teaspoon - per person per day) will not appreciably increase cholesterol intake.

miriam

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 12:44 am
Coconut oil is actually a good oil now.

Tovah

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 9:59 pm
to get back to the fish thing my doc. says at 10 months, I actually gave my daughter gefilta fish and she handed back to me shaking her head, oh well.

hadasa

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 5:32 am
daughterof g-d wrote:
I rememeber hearing one should not give a child fish, unitl he can say FISH, does anyone know if this is a minhag, halacha, or health issue?
what age did you first give your baby fish.

I sound like a new mom LOL embarrassed
Bahashem

I think it's a Bubbe Maise, like not showing a mirror untill he has teeth, if you step over someone he'll stop growing unless you step back, etc.

My personal take on Bubbe Maises: If I've heard it from one of MY kid's Bubbes, (mother, m-i-l, husband's grandmother etc.) then I keep it, because of Kibud Eim. But I see no point in collecting and following other people's grandmothers' Bubbe Maises.

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 5:45 am
Quote:
But I see no point in collecting and following other people's grandmothers' Bubbe Maises.

LOL LOL Way to go Hadassa

queenie

Post Fri, Feb 11 2005, 4:08 pm
I always had a hard time getting my family to eat chicken. Most of them liked ground meat (like hamburgers or meatballs.) But get this, they like fish! Which is great b/c it's so healthy. Just make sure and double check that there are no bones - even if it's filleted.

ForeverYoung

Post Sat, Feb 12 2005, 10:26 pm
Quote:
I rememeber hearing one should not give a child fish, unitl he can say FISH,

it probably has to do with the bones
besides, your grandmothers probably came for Russia, and the Russian word for fish is one of the later (difficult) words, so it was a good yardstik to ensure taht the kid will be able to take the bones out of his mouse
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics