Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Chocolate lollipops

mommy#1

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:38 pm
I want to make chocolate lollipops for mm. I bought the molds, but how do I do it? I cant imagine people would like plain baking chocolate... what could I mix in? I think I want to keep it pareve
tia

obagys

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:40 pm
I have made chocolate lollipops to go with my theme for the past few years. I usually use colored chocolates and a paintbrush. You have to put the molds in the fridge to harden in between colors/layers. I don't add anything in besides the chocolate - kids always love them!

Here's last years - I did a smiley face theme. Painted on the eyes and mouth with regular baking chocolate, put in fridge, then poured the yellow chocolate for the smiley face. I usually mix the chocolate with some margarine for better consistency when making the lollipops.

Last edited by obagys on Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy#1

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:43 pm
ok thanks! I was going to put it in the freezer between colors. I guess the fridge is a better option!

obagys

Post Mon, Feb 21 2011, 8:46 pm
mommy#1 wrote:
ok thanks! I was going to put it in the freezer between colors. I guess the fridge is a better option!

Freezer works also, I just never have enough room in mine to lay the molds straight!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 11:45 am
I am a big chocolate mold maker. You put good (shufra) baking chocolate in the over in bekela on two twenty five and let it melt. If you are making big lollies and want it to taste good then mix in rice crispies. Then put in mold and freeze. Six minutes later take out by turning upside down on counter. It freezes well so you can do in advance.

MrsLeo

Post Tue, Feb 22 2011, 2:16 pm
I am planning on making really big (6"x3") 3D chocolates for purim and all the websites for molding chocolate say to never use baking chocolate because it's very bitter they all say to use cooking chocolate which I cant find anywhere in a reliable hechsher. Did you find that the Shufra baking chocolate was bitter?

lizard8

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 5:38 am
use good quality chocolate chips.

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:03 am
NEVER use chocolate chips for melting. They are made to specifically not melt easily so they can be used in things like cookies.
I bought 2 types of baking chocolate, shufra and alprose and after tasting both decided that alprose tastes better so that is what I am using although the shufra is cheaper.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:02 pm
Shufra chocolate is fine and the kids love it-not bitter at all.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:03 pm
obagys wrote:
mommy#1 wrote:

Freezer works also, I just never have enough room in mine to lay the molds straight!

Freezer is better-it gives it a nice tinge of shine that fridge doesn't do.

bakermom

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 3:55 pm
Melting chocolate will not change the taste, so use only chocolate that you would eat plain. I use regulare chcolate (that I buy in the candy aisle, not in the baking aisle) when I make chocolate molds.

windowsill

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:08 pm
Where do you get the yellow choc from? Can you buy it ready made?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:17 pm
Colored chocolate does not have the best taste.I make one layor of the color I want and freeze then fill the back with brown chocolate which is made to eat.

obagys

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:25 pm
windowsill wrote:
Where do you get the yellow choc from? Can you buy it ready made?

Liebers (I'm pretty sure it is Liebers) sells colored chocolates in yellow, pink, blue and white. I use them for lollipops all the time. Sure, they don't taste delicious, but they are easy to work and kids seem to eat the lollipops regardless.

mommy#1

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:30 pm
I was going to buy some white chocolate and mix in food coloring for whichever colors I need. Does that make sense? Especially if the colored chocolates don't taste good...

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:46 pm
White tastes bad as well. You can do either but they all don't have a great taste.

paprika

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:57 pm
mommy#1 wrote:
I was going to buy some white chocolate and mix in food coloring for whichever colors I need. Does that make sense? Especially if the colored chocolates don't taste good...

Not a good idea. Chocolate and water don't get along. The chocolate will become lumpy. You could use gel coloring.

paprika

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 10:59 pm
flowerpower wrote:
White tastes bad as well. You can do either but they all don't have a great taste.

Mrs. Fischer from BP sells pretty good-tasting white chocolate. If you want her number, let me know and I'll check it up for you.

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 12:16 am
Dark chocolate can be melted with praline paste (hazelnut butter) or peanut butter. Alternatively, it can be melted with white chocolate for a lighter look. White chocolate can also be melted with praline paste (hazelnut butter) or peanut butter - it gives it a light brown color that almost looks like milk chocolate - it also gives the white chocolate a much better taste. If you want a more elegant look you can make 2 tone chocolates by filling the chocolate mold half way with the first color and chilling till firm and then adding the second color and chilling till firm. You need to be careful when doing the first color that you pour into the middle of the mold and not along the sides so the top half of the mold remains clean for the second color. Enjoy!

bakermom

Post Mon, Feb 28 2011, 9:45 am
I think Peppermill also sells a good-tasting white chocolate.

Only color chocolate with gel or powder food coloring.

The thin layer of color sounds like a great idea!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics