Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you go in to check on child or wait?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 11:30 pm
My 2 yr old dd came home from school today with a very runny nose. The teacher said she was not herself in class. Her nose was running tonight but her temp was normal.
She went to sleep ok but for the past HOUR she has been coughing over and over again in her crib. Literally non stop for an hour.
I hear her and looked on the monitor and she is laying down. But I am so nervous for her and feel so bad she isn't feeling well.
I don't know if I should go in and take her to my bed or just let her be.
And I dont know what I can do for a cough anyway. A steam shower? That is about all that would be allowed right now at her age right?

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 01 2011, 11:58 pm
Could you add a pillow or two so she isn't lying down flat? That may help for the coughing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
My 2 yr old dd came home from school today with a very runny nose. The teacher said she was not herself in class. Her nose was running tonight but her temp was normal.
She went to sleep ok but for the past HOUR she has been coughing over and over again in her crib. Literally non stop for an hour.
I hear her and looked on the monitor and she is laying down. But I am so nervous for her and feel so bad she isn't feeling well.
I don't know if I should go in and take her to my bed or just let her be.
And I dont know what I can do for a cough anyway. A steam shower? That is about all that would be allowed right now at her age right?
things you can do for a cough for a 2 year old:
humidifier
cough medicine (my doctor allows a small amount)
as the above poster said, an extra pillow to raise her head more
let her have a drink

I know that when my daughter is coughing like that that she is getting sick so I do take her in to the doctor.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 12:59 am
A cold mist humidifier might help. My doctor recommended it for my toddler and it really helped a lot a few weeks ago when my son had a night time cough.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:00 am
Is it possible her 2 year old molars are coming in?

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:49 am
definitely put her in your bed... why not?
nothing is a soothing and healing as a mother's love and warm touch...
I am not really a natural mama- I dont advocate cosleeping with your 2 year old on a regular basis- but when a child is not feeling well, im all for it...
try it...

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 1:51 am
oh and by the way, she is probably coughing because of post nasal drip. you said she has a runny nose. so, when she is lying down, the mucus drips down into the throat, causing irritation and coughing. its best to sleep in a more upright position, like on a reclining couch, if you have one.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 2:42 am
If your instinct tells you to check on your baby, why wouldn't you? I couldn't sleep if I had the idea to check on my child.

Humidifier
See a doctor

hadasa

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 7:52 am
Is it a dry cough or a wet one?

cl

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:11 am
But if she's sleeping why wud u take her out of her bed an into yours?

goforit

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:11 am
if you want you can pick up in a health food store olbas oil you put it in the vaporizer and it relaxes the muscles and opens the nasal passage also it smells yummy mint. refah shlimah

cl

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 5:57 pm
you can also put olbas oil drops onto the pillow or little cloth near her head.
there's also something similar called Karvol specifically made for babies and young children.

obagys

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 6:03 pm
I would check on her but wouldn't move her, especially if she's coughing while still asleep - the post nasal drip doesn't go away cause the child is in mommy's bed. I would try to prop her head up and use a humidifier as others suggested, and would bring her in to the doctor if the cold lingers or if she develops a fever. My 10 month old just went through this and it was hard listening to her cough so much at night but there's not much you can do Sad

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 6:43 pm
All good advice above, but I would also go in and give her a drink. When im coughing I always like a drink to clear my throat.

gumdrop

Post Wed, Mar 02 2011, 8:46 pm
Everyone gave great ideas. I just wanted to add that the olbas oil can be diluted with olive oil in a little shnaps cup. Then you can dip your fingers in and rub it on dc chest and back and under the nose. It makes them more comfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics