Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Socialization

amother

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 8:09 am
As homeschooling parents, we have all heard "What do you do about socialization?" Most people feel it's no problem and have figured out excellent ways for their kids, and for themselves to have social interactions For us, however, it is becoming an issue. Not only for the kids, but for myself as weel.

First the kids: They need to be with kids their own age. It is not enough to be with their siblings all day. We are the only frum family in the area who is homeshcooling, so we do not have a network of other families. After school, there are no activities for kids. The kids in the schools here basically come home, do homework, etc. Shabbos it is not possible for the kids to see their friends since we are away every Shabbos for kiruv. So, the kids end up missing all the groups on Shabbos every single week. I think it is really starting to get to them and I am not sure what to do. The kiruv we do does not involve families, so no kids there either. I live in an area without much to do for after school activities. The local library only has homeschooling events on Saturdays.

For myself: I never see anyone! All the social events for women are run through the school that our kids don't go to. I go to a tehllim group one morning a week. Other than that there's nothing. There is one shiur a week that I can't get to since dh isn't home and no one wants to babysit the amount of children we have (we have tried and tried to find someone, even for a ton of money, and the girls just don't want to babysit!) Since we are away on Shabbos, I don't see anyone either.

Please help! I feel we are really struggling with this and it is really effecting the kids and myself. While we love homeshcooling, it is beginning to really get to everyone! I feel it myself, and I can tell my kids do too!

morah

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 8:56 am
Maybe the kiruv work needs to be put on hold for now. Kiruv is a wonderful thing, but not at the expense of your family.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:00 am
morah wrote:
Maybe the kiruv work needs to be put on hold for now. Kiruv is a wonderful thing, but not at the expense of your family.

OP here: It's my husband's job, not volunteer based.

morah

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:17 am
Must the family join him every single Shabbos? Maybe one Shabbos a month you and the kids could stay home and he goes alone?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 9:26 am
morah wrote:
Must the family join him every single Shabbos? Maybe one Shabbos a month you and the kids could stay home and he goes alone?

OP here: Yes, we need to go. We have already explored the possiblilty of us not going, and it simply is not an option.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:23 pm
We're also the only frum family homeschooling in our area. We created after-school things for our community. Could you do that??? A friend started a free choir on Mondays, and I'm offering a free recorder class on Thursdays. I even thought of offering a weekly science class (currently we're studying astronomy), but decided I didn't want to be tied down three afternoons per week.

On Tuesdays my kids can go play with friends or have friends over, and on Wednesdays we usually take the whole afternoon off for a picnic lunch and outing (something educational or nature-oriented). Sometimes we can take a preschool/kindergarten friend with us since they get home a lot earlier.

Shabbos is a BIG social time for oldest DD. Unless we're having guests that have children her age, we let her go to wherever she is invited out for lunch. Lots of playtime in the afternoon, and a kids' gettogether at the shul. Without shabbos, I think it would be much harder!

You could start a monthly outing club, like on the first Sunday of every month. You could do a monthly brachos party. You could host a board game hour. A weekly art or cooking or ? class. History? Often, day schools have limited or no time for history, science, music, or art, so it's a nice thing to offer as a supplement. Even a Jewish version of girl scouts or 4-H could be fun. So many possibilities...

amother

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 12:12 am
Let your children make friends online through video chatting. Gmail has video chat and so does Room613 (also discussion boards there for homeschooled kids). My kids have developed wonderful friendships this way, even leading to in-person visits (overnights) with their new friends. They feel so much more connected to the world of their peers, both schooled and homeschooled.

Of course, also look for ways to increase in-person social opportunities, but don't overlook the benefit of real relationships that happen "virtually."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling