Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Pesach- My daughters easiest time of year!

PIP

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 8:05 pm
I'm so excited for pesach just for my daughter's sake! She will have such a variety of gluten free food to eat!! A whole week where she can eat almost anything being served! YAY!!!!
Sorry, just had to let it out!

Henya

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 8:26 pm
same here. My children have all kinds of allergies: corn, wheat, gluten & dairy. We LOVE Pesach. We stock up on Pesach treats for all year round!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 8:45 pm
My neighbor suffers from celiac. She stocks up on after pesach specials.

tikva18

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 9:14 pm
Henya wrote:
same here. My children have all kinds of allergies: corn, wheat, gluten & dairy. We LOVE Pesach. We stock up on Pesach treats for all year round!

Us too - the corn, wheat, gluten, dairy - and then some. sigh. The hard part is that Pesach just isn't filling enough for my kids without rice - but I did push potatoes a lot this year, so maybe my twins will be okay.

allrgymama

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 7:22 pm
@tikva18: how old are your children? Have you asked your Rav for a heter to allow them kitniyos?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 8:06 pm
My oldest has celiac so even though our minhag is to eat gebrochts, we eat non-gebrochts on pesach. I love that for one week we all eat the same food (except for matza--she eats oat matza).

anon for this

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
My oldest has celiac so even though our minhag is to eat gebrochts, we eat non-gebrochts on pesach. I love that for one week we all eat the same food (except for matza--she eats oat matza).

This post was mine....I posted anonymously by mistake.
Usually I just cook GF for my daughter since it costs so much more and the other kids don't like the taste. So it's really special to cook the same food for everyone.

tikva18

Post Wed, Mar 23 2011, 10:07 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@tikva18: how old are your children? Have you asked your Rav for a heter to allow them kitniyos?

Every year I think I ought to ask. The twins are 5 1/2, knaina hara, and my oldest ds is 15, knaina hara. My middle children can eat gluten. One of the twins is celiac, the other two just have bad gluten allergies - although my oldest is currently okay for oats - we'll probably try the oat matza again for him.
We would eat gebrocht and would spread jelly or some such thing on matza, but I now cook/bake non-grebrocht -which took time getting used to.

allrgymama

Post Thu, Mar 24 2011, 3:08 pm
@tikva18: I'm a big believer in asking a Rav; my mother is always telling me (as recently as last week, actually) that your Rav is your friend and he wants to make life easier for you.

In that vein, two years ago, I wanted my mother know, before Yom Tov, if she would come with me to the hospital if I went into labor on Pesach (which I did). She said there was no way her Rav would allow it. I insisted, she called and the Rav was mind-boggled at the simplicity of it. 'She'll be a woman in labor. She can have anything she wants if she needs it' (was more or less his words).

And last year, I insisted that my husband ask for my daughter to have a heter to eat kitniyos on Yom Tov; he also said it was ridiculous and that the answer would be no. The rav was as quick with a 'of course she can eat kitniyos' as my husband was to roll his eyes.

You say that your children are older (than mine is, anyway), but it never ever hurts to ask. Worst that can happen is that you're told 'no' and then you're no worse off than if you had decided 'no' on your own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics