Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
4 or 5 burners?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 9:28 am
We're iy'h buying an oven Hooray Hooray Hooray after not having one for over a year. I figured the best time to buy it is for pesach, so that's what we're doing. I have a choice between 4 or 5 burners. The difference in price is negligible. The rest of it is the same. I've been cooking with 3 burners and using it as an oven too Wink and I've been managing just fine. My oven now has 4, but the metal part (whatever it's called) broke when we moved and I never fixed or replaced it, so I only use 3 of them. Which would you get and why? I was thinking that the 4 is enough because like I said I've been managing and is 5 really necessary? Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 9:55 am
On the 5 burner models I've seen, there isn't enough space between the burners to use reasonably sized pots on all at once. Unless you think that you can fit 5 pots of the sizes you're likely to use, it won't be helpful.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:42 am
That said, my four burner stove isn't big enough to put giant pots on all the burners, either. Industry standard must be that most people eat out !!!

nylon

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:46 am
Is this American size or European?

In a European one, 4 burners is 60cm and 5 is 80-90. If it's a 90cm one there's plenty of room. If it's an American style one where they squash 5 burners into the space for 4 (30" or 76cm) then no thank you.

Liba

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:48 am
nylon, does 4cm (~1.5") really make that much difference?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:55 am
Oven or cooktop?

With a cooktop, I recommend as many burners as you can fit, but check the rating of the burners. Make sure there is at least one high output burner and one low output burner (for boiling water and simmer respectively).

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 11:01 am
I love my 5-burner range. The 5th burner is oval, and I have this soup pot:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStor.....t.jsp

I can leave that baby simmering as long as I'd like and still have use of all of my other burners.

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 11:43 am
My inlaws have the 5th burner with a simmer feature. They put their blech over it for shabbos. They find it quite useful.

nylon

Post Sat, Mar 26 2011, 10:49 pm
Liba wrote:
nylon, does 4cm (~1.5") really make that much difference?

Not so much, but 14 sure does. And the way the 30" American ones have them crammed in, IME, is very tight and takes space off the sides, so you can't use the center burner along with one of the others unless all your pots are small. I don't think it's worth it to have 5 burners when the 5th isn't usable.

Tova

Post Sat, Mar 26 2011, 11:50 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Oven or cooktop?

With a cooktop, I recommend as many burners as you can fit, but check the rating of the burners. Make sure there is at least one high output burner and one low output burner (for boiling water and simmer respectively).

Yes yes yes. I have a Fridgidaire with 5 burners. Two are QuickBoil, one is regular, and one is simmer. The QuickBoil ones are fabulous - literally boil water in a couple of minutes and I use the simmer one ALL the time also. The 5th burner is oval like Barbara's, but I've never used it because I don't have any oval pots. The range also came with a grill and girdle that can replace the 5th burner but I never used them either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen