Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help me find a tween girl's dress - online or NY/NJ area

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 5:17 pm
Please help me find clothes for my 11-year-old daughter!!! This has been an ongoing problem, but this year's fashions are even lower-cut and shorter than usual. She desperately needs Shabbat/simcha clothes and I am at my wits' end!

She has long legs and still has a childlike figure - she actually wears two different sizes, usually 10 on top and 12 on the bottom. Dresses that are meant to be above-ankle length are good; she just wears them (in the smaller size) at mid-calf which she prefers anyway. Unfortunately, except for big poofy special-occasion dresses, everything is barely knee-length or shorter this season.

I'm looking for something with sleeves, or a jewel-neck sleeveless dress that could be worn with a cardigan or matching jacket. A sundress over a shell isn't the look we are going for here.

Any ideas??? I have looked in every store that carries children's wear in our area and on every website I can think of. I'm in NJ and willing to travel for a productive shopping trip, so stores in NY are fair game (or even CT or PA, but I can't imagine the selection would be better there...). Also online stores, if they are reliable and accept returns. I've been to Lakewood for shopping in the past, but never had any success - she doesn't like black and everything was too short anyway.

Sooo....what else? We have ebayed for clothes before, but I haven't come up with anything good this season. I have googled for "modest clothes" and there isn't much out there. What am I missing?? Where does everyone else shop for tween girls' clothes???

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 6:55 pm
Also looking for clothes for my 10 year old. I did find a few bubble tops at Marshalls/TJ Maxx that she likes.

Depressed

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 8:02 pm
I find it hard to believe you cant find a very nice selection in BPark. A bit pricey though. Maybe try Daniellas on Coney Island Ave..

LoveMy2Kids

Post Tue, Mar 15 2011, 8:10 pm
I have a daughter that age. I got her two nice shabbos skirts (Junee Jr, and one other), and have had no problem finding tops to go with them at Syms, JC Penney, Macys etc....

amother

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 4:11 am
Depressed wrote:
I find it hard to believe you cant find a very nice selection in BPark. A bit pricey though. Maybe try Daniellas on Coney Island Ave..

Thanks for the suggestion. As I said, I'm in NJ. Do you have the address (or cross-street) for Daniellas? Any other specific store recommendations? I appreciate it.

Depressed

Post Wed, Mar 16 2011, 11:24 am
Its around Ave J. Hatzlacha

mommyof6

Post Thu, Mar 17 2011, 6:40 am
Had the same issue with my daughter. I found very pretty Shabbat dresses at JCPenney online. Their sales are great. For $10-19 you can get very fancy dresses. I tend to go up one size when shopping there to make sure knees are covered:)

shoshina

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 9:13 am
My older nieces got their Pesach clothes at J. Crew. It's a little pricey but when they say "falls below the knee" at least they usually mean it! All of these would look nice with a cardigan (and if you have younger daughters they make good hand-me-downs because the quality is excellent)

I love this one, but better for an older girl who can be careful about food stains:

http://www.jcrew.com/girls_cat.....5.jsp

Younger niece got this one, its shorter so she went a size up (and she's quite short herself)

http://www.jcrew.com/girls_cat.....1.jsp

Also pretty depending where that ruffled belt falls on the girl

http://www.jcrew.com/girls_cat.....6.jsp

You have to like the tiered ruffles look but a lot of tweens love it...and again it is an 'at knee' so a size up or a petite girl (and nicer in the lilac for your younger girl)

http://www.jcrew.com/girls_fea.....4.jsp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics