Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Pros and Cons of Westgate
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:29 am
My DH very much wants to consider moving there (mostly because he believes the rent is cheaper). I'm really not so happy with the idea. Not sure why but I don't have a very positive view of the neighborhood.
Please share your feelings/ information, both positive and negative so that we can make a well informed decision.
We are a 'yeshivish' family with 2 small children (we've been married a while, though, so we are not 'youngsters')

Amother because I'm sure in the course of the discussion I will end up revealing alot of info about myself.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:52 am
Westgate isn't really a 'yeshivish' type of community... it's more modern and full of newly-marrieds. Some do have children, so your kids won't be the only ones there. For a decent size apartment, rent is reasonable, but I don't think it's cheap. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. Where are you moving from?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:56 am
1Life2Live wrote:
Westgate isn't really a 'yeshivish' type of community... it's more modern and full of newly-marrieds. Some do have children, so your kids won't be the only ones there. For a decent size apartment, rent is reasonable, but I don't think it's cheap. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to. Where are you moving from?

OP here- I think that is mostly what I thought. Do you know what rents are like?
We are moving from the princeton/ squankum area in lakewood. We are currently paying 1700+ for a townhouse. We could go to something smaller.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:24 pm
1Life2Live wrote:

Are you sure this is true? I don't live there, but I know of several people who live there who in my mind qualify as yeshivish. The ones I know also are not newly marrieds. Do you mean it's a mix of different types? There are different sections - full houses and apartments, so I'd assume more newlyweds in the apartments.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:30 pm
There are only apartments in Westgate, no houses. Not sure about rent prices. Come to think of it there are some Yeshivish people living there- from the kollel in the Yeshiva Gedola, but the people I know who learned there moved out when they had school-age kids.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:41 pm
West gate definitely has townhouses - I don't know if you count that as a house. I think they also may have a few, not too many, semi- detached but not sure if I'm remembering correctly. And the yeshivish people I know there are typical Lakewood people.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:42 pm
1Life2Live wrote:
There are only apartments in Westgate, no houses. Not sure about rent prices. Come to think of it there are some Yeshivish people living there- from the kollel in the Yeshiva Gedola, but the people I know who learned there moved out when they had school-age kids.

There are definitely townhouses in westgate. I know people who live in them.

Simple1

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:43 pm
I just started to wonder - are we talking about the same thing? I had assumed the OP meant West gate in Lakewood.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:45 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I just started to wonder - are we talking about the same thing? I had assumed the OP meant West gate in Lakewood.

I did

mommyla

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 1:04 pm
1life2live, I think you're mixing Westgate up with something else. Washington Square, maybe?

There are definitely townhouses in Westgate. Detached houses too. Lots of couples with lots of kids in all age ranges. VERY yeshivish. OP, are you coming from Whispering Pines? Rent is probably lower in Westgate (I've seen some good deals advertised). I know some people who live there and are very happy. Not my type though. I think it can be very cramped, but it depends on which part of Westgate. Why don't you check out the availability? I know someone in a semi-detached so she is not squished between neighbors right on top of her and she has some breathing space. (And she owns so I don't know about rent.) I personally would not stay in a development but that's just me. I live in one now but would not buy a house there - but I'm an out-of-towner! People love Westgate. Also the shopping is very convenient. Why don't you ask around?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 1:41 pm
It is a more yeshivish crowd. I have one friend who lives there who is not ultra yeshivish. I know other pple who live there too. Its a nice crowd. Lots of shopping there. Your kids will have plenty of friends there. The place is loaded with kids. Scary to drive there.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 1:56 pm
I only know a few people in Westgate, and when I've been to them for Shabbos, I always felt like Westgate was like a chutz-la'Aretz version of Kiryat Sefer. Very yeshivish, zillions of kids, and ALL THE HOUSES LOOK THE SAME! I could get so lost there...

DH jokingly called it Jew-topia, because the rows and rows of identical houses, each with its minivan, seems like something out of a slightly dystopian "we are all the same and we are happy" universe, like Edward Scissorhands or A Wrinkle in Time.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 2:31 pm
There is also a westgate in teaneck, maybe that was where 1life2live was talking about. she described it very well.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 3:18 pm
I've been to Westgate in Lakewood....um, yeah, wouldn't call it modern in ANY way at all.

Also, I've seen plenty of town houses.
Obviously very "kid friendly" place and the lawns and streets and strewn with toys.

1Life2Live

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 3:45 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
There is also a westgate in teaneck, maybe that was where 1life2live was talking about. she described it very well.

that is what I was referring to... never occurred to me that there was another westgate Dont know

Please me more specific next time you post. Not everyone is from Lakewood.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:48 pm
I live in Westgate Apartments in Teaneck, and when I saw this thread title I automatically assumed it meant the large Westgate development in Lakewood, because Teaneck people just say they live in the "teaneck apartments", and dont specify Ayers, Walraven, etc. so much.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:13 am
1Life2Live wrote:
There are only apartments in Westgate, no houses. Not sure about rent prices.

Is this true??

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 11:14 am
1Life2Live wrote:
There are only apartments in Westgate, no houses. Not sure about rent prices..

Is this true?

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:08 pm
There are rowhouses.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 12:11 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
There are rowhouses.

What does that mean?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating