Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bris planning

morah

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:56 am
Obviously there's not much you can do until the baby actually comes, but I would like to at least have some names/numbers on hand so that I don't have to go researching right after the baby's born. So, I need names of caterers that do reasonably priced brissim in NYC. Also- my big worry- what do I do if we end up with an Erev Pesach bris?

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 12:00 pm
I don't know if they go to NYC (are you talking Manhattan or somewhere else?) but we used:

http://www.8thdaycaterers.com/index.php

They are out of the Teaneck area.

They were very reasonable and cheaper than everyone else we called.

If you have an erev Pesach bris, you need to CYLOR but I would assume a regular bris just early AM and burn chametz ASAP. Don't overorder then :-)

morah

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 12:06 pm
Thanks.
I'm not worried about the halachik issues for Erev Pesach- like you, I assume we'd just do it early enough to be able to get the meal in- I'm concerned that no one will be able to cater it at all! Perhaps we could get the food a few days before and hope the bagels don't get too stale Smile

mamommommy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:27 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
I don't know if they go to NYC (are you talking Manhattan or somewhere else?) but we used:

If you have an erev Pesach bris, you need to CYLOR but I would assume a regular bris just early AM and burn chametz ASAP. Don't overorder then :-)

I was at a bris that was catered by them and it was really beautiful. I'm surprised to hear that they were so reasonable because the set up was so lavish, it looked like it would have cost a lot. The bris that I went to was in Queens so they obviously travel.

Barbara

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:37 pm
morah wrote:
Obviously there's not much you can do until the baby actually comes, but I would like to at least have some names/numbers on hand so that I don't have to go researching right after the baby's born. So, I need names of caterers that do reasonably priced brissim in NYC. Also- my big worry- what do I do if we end up with an Erev Pesach bris?

B'shaa tova.

I'd also be concerned about a place to have the bris, as your shul (eg) might not be willing to have a chametz-affair Erev Pesach, and need to clean up so quickly. You might think about calling around to see if anyplace is just closing up for Pesach, and would therefore welcome the business.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 1:42 pm
mamommommy wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I was at a bris that was catered by them and it was really beautiful. I'm surprised to hear that they were so reasonable because the set up was so lavish, it looked like it would have cost a lot. The bris that I went to was in Queens so they obviously travel.

They might have had an upscale bris. We had no hot food or anything like that, but they did simple presentation tricks to make it look beautiful.

Teaneck is expensive, so "reasonable" is relative. Although, my sister told me what a kiddush in her shul costs in Lakewood vs what it costs in Teaneck and I was shocked! Hers was so much more expensive.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:26 pm
One of my best friends had an erev Pesach bris. They served fish, fruit, and veggies and thats it. I think it's all the shul would allow.

morah

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 2:46 pm
We already know where we're having it, they don't mind b/c they're not a large space, and it's separate from the rest of the building. Erev Pesach is only if this baby comes on Monday. It could come tonight. Or tomorrow. Or Shabbos. Or Tuesday. You get the idea. But we are in the danger zone as it were.

I don't think we would be having hot food anyway- I was thinking more like bagels, muffins, and fruit.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 3:21 pm
Bagel hole on coney island
M bagels on M

I have used both, and they were both great!

Marion

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:14 am
You could make a gebrochts/kitniyot bris. No chametz, no matzah. Just DH would have to be careful to eat enough mezonot to wash & bentch. (It's possible, AYLOR.) Or you order a dozen bagels for DH & a minyan and no one else washes...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics