Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
My first time interviewing for a teaching position- help!!

amother

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 12:45 pm
I have my first interview ever! For a teaching position in secular studies at a frum high school.
Any tips?
What will I be asked? What should I wear? I plan on wearing a suit- is this ok?
Is it necessary to bring a model lesson/ examples of handouts?
TIA!!!!

amother

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:08 pm
amother wrote:
I have my first interview ever! For a teaching position in secular studies at a frum high school.
Any tips?
What will I be asked? What should I wear? I plan on wearing a suit- is this ok?
Is it necessary to bring a model lesson/ examples of handouts?
TIA!!!!

Wow how exciting!

My first and only interview happened about 10 years ago but I can tell you what I remember.
Like you, it was a secular studies position in a frum high school. (well, maybe not frum... maybe more MO? or somewhere between MO and frum)

The principal asked me what I liked the most about teaching, what I hoped to gain from the experience. He asked me to describe my teaching philosophy. He also aked me how I planned to incorporate yiddishkeit into the material (it was for a social studies teacher position)

I wore what I would wear to a parent-teacher conference. Heels, not necessarily a suit... It's a school, not a corporate office. (although you should find out what the dress code is in that school and see what the teachers wear and sort of mimic that.) Personally, I wore heels, a black skirt, and a turquoise dressy button down shirt with a turquoise shell underneath.

As for what to bring, I brought my resume, which was actually my senior project in school. They made us make a whole powerpoint presentation on the 12 teaching competencies, including some kind of visual proof of each of these (pictures of students involved in certain projects, a picture of a test I caught a student cheating on where I had her sign her parent's name to teach accountability... etc) Obviously you have to include your philosophy, experience, and WHY you want to be a teacher.
I also brought a letter of recommendation from the teacher who supervised my internship.

Hope this helps!

oohlala

Post Wed, May 11 2011, 12:32 pm
the better prepared you are to promote yourself, the better. It's a good idea to bring a folder/loosleaf of some good lessons you have given in the past, and if you have pictures of projects etc. that's great too. just be prepared to sell yourself!! and dress in a way that makes you feel confident and gorgeous--it will come through in the way you speak.... good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics