Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do you play chinese jump rope?

Mommy F.

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 12:28 pm
I just bought my daughter chinese jump rope,
I remember loving it as a kid.
Can't seem to remember all the levels and rules though.
I remember we did side, side, in, out, on . . .

Then there was joggsies, kneesies, pizza, one foot,
close your eyesies . . .

Let me know what you remember, or what your kids play

thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 12:33 pm
I noticed that the girls at school call Chinese jump rope Ching Chong. Maybe edit your post to include that name in your title?

Dd is into that now, but is just starting out, so I don't know all the ins and outs yet Smile

baschabad

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 12:47 pm
Two players hold the ends with both feet, ankle height, shoulders distance apart.

There are two versions:
1) In, out, side, side, in, on, out, twist, bye (jump out of the ropes.) There are different opinions on the way the actual chant goes but this is the version I know.

2) one-two-three. The jumper jumps three times on one of the outermost sides, three times with one foot out and one foot in, three times with both feet in, three times with one foot in the middle and one foot on the next side... basically 'traveling' the rope. As she jumps, she counts, one-two-three. When she reaches the opposite side of where she started, she starts jumping in twos. Twice in each position, counting "one-two"... going back the way she came, until at the other side, she starts doing "ones", jumping once in each position.

LEVELS: When the jumper has completed the basic level with ropes at the ankle level, the 'holders' move the rope to their calves and then to their knees.

When she has completed those levels as well, one holder removes one foot, creating the pizza shape and she starts again with the ropes at ankle height. Continue with calf and knees heights.

The final level (IIRC) is 'thinsies' where both holders are holding with one foot each.

An alternate multi-player method is where three or more girls each hold the rope with one foot while standing in a circle. (The rope will form a distinct shape.) The same number of girls will jump starting on the outside of the rope and jumping in the three-two-one method mentioned above, but as they jump they travel around the rope in a circular motion, jumping each time over the rope held between different girls.
In this version, the jumpers can jump either the ouside-over(one foot on each side of the rope)-inside method, or simply outside-inside. This quickens the pace of the game and makes it harder.

At least that's how I played it when I was a girl! Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children