Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hydrocele

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 4:07 am
I have google it but interested if anyone had to get their baby surgery because of this.
At first my dr. said wait and it will probably go away itself but my babies a year now and he told me to speak to a surgeon

anyones baby had surgery for it.

Liba

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 4:45 am
nt

Last edited by Liba on Thu, May 26 2011, 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:17 am
My son was diagnosed with a hydrocele at 14 months. The pediatrician referred us to the top pediatric urologist in our area, who determined that the hydrocele is communicating (meaning, there is a small hernia somewhere that allows fluid to flow in and out of the hydrocele). In that case, surgery is recommended to close the hernia.

If the hydrocele is non-communicating, I believe there is a wait and see approach. The risk of leaving a hydrocele is that it may grow and put pressure on the testicle, causing further complications.

I recommend that you find the top pediatric urologist where you live, and get his opinion. If you're still unsure, get a second opinion.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 10:57 am
Both of my boys had it and it went away on its own.

gryp

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:21 am
My son was born with it, they recommended we wait until a year to see if it resolves itself. It didn't, so at 14 months we did the surgery. BH it worked out well.

Liba

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 11:28 am
nt

Last edited by Liba on Thu, May 26 2011, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:12 pm
so my pediatrition told me to go to a surgeon - should he be seeing a urologist?
I have an appointment in a few weeks.
I'm in Israel if that makes a difference.

Ronit

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 1:20 pm
I had the same experience as the amother who went to a urologist. My son had surgery at 18 months. A few months later, there was one on the other side, so again he had surgery. It was a simple outpatient surgery & he is bh fine ever since.

op, you can see either a pediatric surgeon or a pediatric urologist. We had it seen & treated by a pediatric surgeon.

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 12:56 am
My son had surgery when he was three. Dr. told us to wait till then to see if it would close on its own. He was only in the hospital a couple of hours. B'H he is 18 now, and there were never any side effects/repercussions.
Hatzlocha

sgr

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:13 am
our son had it done at 18 months,BH all went well he came home the same day.He is now 15 and we have TG never looked back!

Twizzlers

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 9:57 am
my son had it done at about 20 months. it was really no big deal; in and out in a few hours....he is now almost 5 bh. feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 10:11 am
I am the first amother who is planning to schedule surgery. I'm pretty nervous, and keep pushing it off Sad Can anyone who has done it let me know how the baby is afterward? Will he be in pain? Extra clingy or cranky? For how long? I'm trying to figure out how to time it best, and I'm not really sure what to expect once it's done. Thanks!

mommyofboys

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 10:44 am
Is there anyone that their child didnt have to have surgery in the end. My son was born with it & so far, the doc is still pushing it off.

Liba

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 11:02 am
Yes and my son is fine B"H. I am surprised at how many kids with hydroceles here ended up with surgery. I have many friends whose son's had hydroceles and none had surgery, they all B"H resolved.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 11:34 am
My son did not have surgery.

And it didn't resolve until he was between 3 and 4. But the doctor wasn't worried as long as we monitored it.

Liba

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:07 pm
Do all the mothers who posted that your babies had surgery for a hydrocele know the difference between a hydrocele and a henia?

Are you sure that they were operating on so many babies at such young ages for hydroceles? It is common to operate on hernias when they are little, but a hydrocele is something different.

amother

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:17 pm
Liba wrote:
Do all the mothers who posted that your babies had surgery for a hydrocele know the difference between a hydrocele and a henia?

Are you sure that they were operating on so many babies at such young ages for hydroceles? It is common to operate on hernias when they are little, but a hydrocele is something different.

I'm assuming they all had communicating hydroceles. So the only symptom may have been the hydrocele, and thus they're saying that the surgery was to correct the hydrocele, when in fact it was to correct the hernia that CAUSED the hydrocele.

Ronit

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
Liba wrote:

I'm assuming they all had communicating hydroceles. So the only symptom may have been the hydrocele, and thus they're saying that the surgery was to correct the hydrocele, when in fact it was to correct the hernia that CAUSED the hydrocele.
Correct. Just what I was going to write. That was the case here.

Amother my ds was perfectly fine later that same afternoon. Here they schedule surgery by age- youngest first. He was early morning & home before 11:00 IIRC.

Watch out for cleanliness in the hospital. The first time we took along his bottle, but he ended up picking up something that broke out in his mouth. It must have touched something in the hospital with germs. (those sores where going around then). The second time we didn't take a bottle & really watched what we touched, & bh he didin't pick up any bug.

amother

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 4:50 am
op here

I have to wait for my appointment - it's just with the kuppah surgeon (I'm in israel)
I wonder if I should get a opinion from a private dr. before we do surgery but I'll see what the kuppah dr says first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics