Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Reference on Resume- Home number?

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:26 am
I am sending in resumes for a teaching position. Is it unprofessional to supply the home number of the references (former principals and supervisors) in addition to their work numbers? TIA

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:31 am
I would only do that if your references told you that it was ok for people to contact them that way. Otherwise, it should be their business numbers.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:37 am
Should I ask them permission, or better just leave it out totally?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:48 am
My advice would be to just briefly ask them if it's ok for you to use them as a reference and when they say yes, ask them what number would be the best for potential employers to reach them at.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:52 am
I already asked about using them as reference, and didn't ask about the phone numbers. As I typed it up, I realized that I didn't ask. I am close enough to ask them now.

(The reason it's practical to give home numbers is in case the person is calling at night, after hours...)

shoshina

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 8:53 am
I think giving cell phone numbers is the best of both worlds here-- people can turn their cell phone off when they don't want to be bothered at home, but can't turn their home phones off.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:22 am
(I don't think it's right to give people's cell phone numbers without asking- I view it differently than home numbers, but maybe that's just me.)

Anyway, I called the references, and each one gave me specifications how it's best to reach them. I am glad I did. Thanks!

Kayza

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 1:34 pm
shoshina wrote:
I think giving cell phone numbers is the best of both worlds here-- people can turn their cell phone off when they don't want to be bothered at home, but can't turn their home phones off.

In fact, they can turn off or ignore home phones just fine. And for some people, giving out their cell number is a problem, since they don't have unlimited plans. If their budgets are tight, the couple of dollars that such a call can cost can be an issue. (I just got asked by a work mate to avoid calling her cell phone unless it's an ABSOLUTE emergency, because she tends to max out her minutes, and her budget IS tight.)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 2:05 pm
"References provided upon request".

Sherri

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 2:35 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
"References provided upon request".
And then upon request? Gotta know how each person wants to be reached.

bluebird

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 6:40 pm
Definitely ask and don't give out a home phone number unless the reference says "yes." Keep in mind that most of the time calls will be made during the workday so a home phone number might not be very useful anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics