Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler weight

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:03 am
DD is 27 months and weighs 23.3 kgs- 106 lbs. She was born average at 7 lbs She basically eats enough. Low dairy but enough eggs, beans, meat/chicken a few times a week, all kinds of grains and fruit n veg. Any suggestions? This has been going on for a while now and I'm getting a bit concerned... TIA

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:04 am
OP here- I meant 10.6 kg and 23.3 lbs!!!!!

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:09 am
I think it's normal. After the rapid weight gain of the first year, gaining slows down and toddlers burn a lot of calories running around. You can ask your ped to be sure.

punchike

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:16 am
My dd is 33 months and weighs 24.5 lbs. She was 22 lbs at your daughters age. I'm always trying to add calories to her daily intake. A suggestion I read: have her eat while sitting in a carriage if you're going walking. works great:)

a few new favorites: sandwiches (cut into interesting shapes: mini circles, mini triangles, hearts) with peanut butter or hummus, avocado cubes with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top, Thin strips of corn flake coated shnitzel. Good Luck!

How tall is your child by the way, if you care to share?

Last edited by punchike on Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:17 am
OP here- My ped was a bit concerned to tell you the truth. She said she needs to gain 2 kgs and she didn't since we saw her before Pesach. She is also a bit short. She said we can keep an eye on her- maybe she's just built small. BH her development is totally fine. Any idea what it could be? She fell as a 6 wk old out of her stroller. I know growth is regulated by pituitary in the brain. BH her head measures fine and weight/height are proportionate to each other but I just want to be sure...

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:21 am
Punchike-
That actually calms me down a lot!! Thanks! Smile Is your family more of a small build? Did your ped have anything to say about it? My doctor also mentioned getting enough sleep... She does have random patterns but I always try to make sure she basically gets enough sleep.

punchike

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:31 am
truthfuly, I'm a bit concerned, its always on my mind, I'm always trying to get her to eat more/ better.

Shes in third percentile for wt & I think 5th for height. My husband and I are tallish and regular wt.

She's happy & social and great b"h in all other ways, so I just continue to work on it & hope she'll maybe have a growth spurt soon:)

Her doc says not to worry, but I do alittle:)

rowo

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:35 am
How is her weight for her height?
Is she growing?
Gaining weight? (even slowly)
Is she developing ok in other areas?
Is she active and happy?
You need to look at the whole picture of her growth and developement.

Of course monitor her and consult a dr if needed

I just don't understand how on earth one would get a two yr old to gain two kilos!?!
Especially at that age, I find my kids both grew taller and and kind of stretched out without putting on that much weight.

punchike

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 9:43 am
Some other ideas to help her gain the weight your doc wants:

drizzle olive oil on her food, make sure food choices are calorie and nutrient dense.
My daughters ped recommended a bottle of formula daily, and avoiding excessive drinks in general cuz it can curb appetite.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:09 am
OP here-
My DD eats junk a lot so she should be gaining from that, no? I recently got her to cut down on it so she'd eat real food.
Weight n height proportionate I think- 5th percentile. I think she was 10 kg around Purim and now she's 10.6
I don't know if she's getting taller. I hope...
She is really smart BH and great developmentally as far as I read in books/online. She is happy and active. Only her weight and height is at 5th perc. I'll try the olive oil.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 10:31 am
Any other suggestions?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:47 pm
Bump

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 01 2011, 11:52 pm
Well, I started offering the fullest fat dairy when giving her milk, cheese, yogurt (I didn't give her MORE, I just gave her the full fat versions.)

Also, I would drizzle a little bit of oil on things (like rice, etc) or put peanut butter on things.

We weren't really worried, but I felt like she could use it. I continued to offer her well rounded nutrition and we don't have a lot of nosh.

She caught up little by little.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 12:20 am
I think the most important thing to look at is if her growth has been consistent. Like if she's been at around the 5th percentile for weight her entire life, then she'd be growing normally.

My DS is 29 months and is thinning out as he gets taller, but he's been at the 75th percentile for weight since he was born. So while he's only gone from 30 to 32 pounds in the past 6 months, I'm not worried because BH his grown is consistent.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 02 2011, 5:11 am
OP here-
I spoke to DD's ped and she said that DD was 10 kg in March and gained .6 kg since then. She thinks its ok as they need to grow around 4 lbs a year. I hope all continues well. Thanks all for ur support! If you have any ideas to keep up the proper growth pls post. Thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics