Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Replacing appliances in old kitchen- need unique sizes

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 12:58 pm
Old cabinets are in decent condition, so theres no need to replace them. Has anyone had this issue?

I need to replace a fridge- Refrigerators are made higher now.

I need to replace double wall oven thats narrow. They dont make them that narow anymore.

I need to replace a cooktop- thats the easiest I think.

Where do people get appliances to fit existing cabinets?

Kumphort

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 1:22 pm
you can probably find new items in the sizes you want, you might end up paying more, if the items are not standard, then it would cost to do a little working around of your cabinets.

Check out ajmadison.com for their website, they have great filters, where you can filter by all sorts of sizes and dimensions, you can then go and see if you can order the item from them or from another dealer.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 1:31 pm
work with an architect/designer. They have connections to places that sell only to the trade and not to the consumer.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:20 pm
zaq wrote:
work with an architect/designer. They have connections to places that sell only to the trade and not to the consumer.
I would imagine that if appliances can be gotten in custom sizes through designers, Id pay more for individual appliances, and for working with a designer, than replacing the old cabinets. Tell me if Im wrong, please. I live in Brooklyn.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 2:29 pm
You may be able to find appliances in the sizes that fit what you have. For example, there are 24" ovens available. What sizes do you need?

BTW, I am a kitchen designer and space planner -- layout only, I do not sell cabinets.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 3:05 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You may be able to find appliances in the sizes that fit what you have. For example, there are 24" ovens available. What sizes do you need?
The cut-out for the oven is 22WX 50L, the existing oven is 23 1/2 wide. What could I replace it with?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 4:18 pm
GE and Kitchenaid both make 24" double ovens needing a cutout of 22 1/2" wide by less than 50" tall.

Is the cabinet cutout truly 22" or is that just the inside of the frame and then it's wider inside? Even the old Maytag 1 1/2 oven -- that's a pretty old model still available, and used mostly for apartments and retrofits -- needs 22 3/8". If it's just the frame that's a bit smaller, the frame can be trimmed. If it's the inside, a good handyman might still be able to rework it.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 5:51 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
GE and Kitchenaid both make 24" double ovens needing a cutout of 22 1/2" wide by less than 50" tall.

Is the cabinet cutout truly 22" or is that just the inside of the frame and then it's wider inside? Even the old Maytag 1 1/2 oven -- that's a pretty old model still available, and used mostly for apartments and retrofits -- needs 22 3/8". If it's just the frame that's a bit smaller, the frame can be trimmed. If it's the inside, a good handyman might still be able to rework it.
Thanks a mil, Ill look into both. Theyre both electric I assume. Any gas double ovens that size?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 7:09 pm
Well... Verona makes a single gas oven that can be stacked and will fit your dimensions, but the only reviews I could find do not make it sound like a good choice: Verona 24" gas wall oven reviews on e-pinions

It looks like AJ madison carries it; you could ask them about their experiences with it.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 06 2011, 7:29 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Well... Verona makes a single gas oven that can be stacked and will fit your dimensions, but the only reviews I could find do not make it sound like a good choice: Verona 24" gas wall oven reviews on e-pinions

It looks like AJ madison carries it; you could ask them about their experiences with it.
Thanks. Not a very encouraging review.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics