Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would a rabbi do this?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:44 pm
I want to bring a rabbi to visit my grandma who is very unwell and hasn't been to shul in a very long time, so that she can feel a connection to something spiritual at this stage in her life

it's my family orthdox rabbi, do you think he would agree to it and would it be appropriate for him to meet me outside and come with me to her house? she would always want me there

imasinger

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:46 pm
I certainly think it's reasonable to ask. He could always say no if there were some issue.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:49 pm
If your g-ma lives in your neighborhood, yes. It's called a "pastoral visit" and is considered one of the shul rabbi's responsibilities. How lovely of you to think of doing this. Just don't try to surprise your g-ma; make sure she knows you're doing this and she agrees. Some people are embarrassed to see anyone outside of the family when they're sick in bed.

be good

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 7:51 pm
absolutely. sounds like a very nice idea, and although the rabbi might possibly not agree for some reason or other, its certainly part of a rabbi's job to offer spiritual support to the community.
b'hatzlacha!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:16 pm
It sounds like a nice idea.
If it will be just you, your grandmother, and the rabbi, note that there's a yichud concern and work something about with regards to that.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 9:44 pm
amother wrote:
If it will be just you, your grandmother, and the rabbi, note that there's a yichud concern and work something about with regards to that.

I don't think you needed to tell OP that. I may be going out on a limb here, but I suspect her rabbi is pretty up to date on the laws of yichud and will bring it up himself if necessary.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

I don't think you needed to tell OP that. I may be going out on a limb here, but I suspect her rabbi is pretty up to date on the laws of yichud and will bring it up himself if necessary.

Agreed. But the OP asked if he would do this and if it is appropriate. I was suggesting the only reason that I can think of that he might not do this / it might not be appropriate.
I did not intend to cast any aspersions on her rabbi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette