Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
If someone touches you in conversation often?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 2:57 pm
does it mean they like you? (NOT in a s-xual way, I am talking about an adult woman from work), ie that they feel some warmth/fondness towards you, or that they are just a touchy feely/affectionate person in general?

for example she often pats other women on the back etc too

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 2:59 pm
Maybe yes maybe no. How do you see them acting with others ?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:00 pm
There's ppl like that and I find them so annoying! I had a friend who would pinch my arm and she was the most annoying person ever!!

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:04 pm
Could be either. A lot of touching behaviors and notions of personal space are very cultural and even regional. When you work or function in a multi-cultural environment (meaning, "people from all boroughs"), you have to take into account the person's background, his/her parents' background, his/her personality, etc.

Oh, and if you really want the sparks to fly, watch what happens when a non-toucher marries a toucher. The couple may get along great, but the mechutanim will have a field day!

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 3:04 pm
Not necessarily even a sign of affection. It can be a cultural thing, a way of making sure they have your attention, a nonverbal way of saying "are you listening?", or a way of emphasizing a point. It can be a way of subtly exerting control, implying superiority, or even an expression of subtle hostility. There's a reason why it's called **invading** personal space.

momof2sofar

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 6:35 pm
Fox wrote:
Could be either. A lot of touching behaviors and notions of personal space are very cultural and even regional. When you work or function in a multi-cultural environment (meaning, "people from all boroughs"), you have to take into account the person's background, his/her parents' background, his/her personality, etc.

Oh, and if you really want the sparks to fly, watch what happens when a non-toucher marries a toucher. The couple may get along great, but the mechutanim will have a field day!

That's what happened to me. My MIL is so touchy feely when I first met her she leaned in to give me a kiss and I backed away because that is so not my nature. She was really insulted. Great first impression right?!
I personally hate to be touched but other people are very touchy feely. I think it's a personality thing and an upbringing thing and a cultural thing.

chanahlady

Post Thu, Jun 16 2011, 8:16 pm
No, it doesn't necessarily mean they like you -- it could be just how they communicate. If you're really uncomfortable, then try to take a step back and get some distance between you two. You can put one foot forward in between you two so the other person doesn't simply move closer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette