Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which is your favorite new Cooking magazine?

Which is your favorite kosher recipe magazine?
Ami -Whisk, Bina - relish  
 11%  [ 1 ]
Bitayavon  
 11%  [ 1 ]
Bits and Bites  
 22%  [ 2 ]
Jamie Geller, Joy of Kosher  
 22%  [ 2 ]
other  
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 10:30 am
What do you think of the new face of the cookbook, the magazine?

First there was Bitayavon, then I saw Bits and Bites, and for Shavuos, a magazine from Jamie Geller came out! This is besides the pull out sections of Binah (Relish) and Whisk (Ami). Now I see there's also Mishpacha, with a completely separate recipe booklet!

As far as I'm concerned, I don't need cookbooks anymore, although I think that beginning cooks still need them. And I was just discovering Susie Fishbein!

In a poll I'd ask: which is your favorite mag -booklet, and why? Do you prefer it to a cookbook?

I find them more affordable, and durable enough to file in a special folder, and the pictures are beautiful and detailed. For Shavuos, I made two cheesecakes from Jamie Geller's, one from Bits and Bites, and several smash hit cake recipes.

I also find that they're easier to find and follow than an imamother printed out ones - of which I have two folders, one of favorites, that I've been adding on to for years already, and meaning to organize.

Izzy

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:35 pm
I actually prefer cookbooks.
Cookbooks are more durable. They're easier to store. Magazines are hard to organize - once you've got a few saved, how do you find let's say a soup recipe easily? (And I don't want to be busy copying them into my personal recipe book.) I also think that cookbook recipes are less likely to have mistakes - the publisher has more time to double-check.

mom2be1

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:52 pm
I rip out and save all my favorite recipies from the magazines. I then put them into a sheet protector and into a looseleaf. This way I have beautiful pictures with the recipies of my choice!!

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:56 pm
Kosher Inspired

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:56 pm
mom2be1 wrote:
I rip out and save all my favorite recipies from the magazines. I then put them into a sheet protector and into a looseleaf. This way I have beautiful pictures with the recipies of my choice!!

Hey, I do the say - its a lot better then my cookbooks.

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 8:17 pm
I am loving Bitayavon!

I have read the pesach/spring issue from cover to cover, and have been busy cooking (& eating Smile) the recipes. I'm really looking forward to the next issue!

greeneyes

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 8:18 pm
Izzy wrote:
I actually prefer cookbooks.
Cookbooks are more durable. They're easier to store. Magazines are hard to organize - once you've got a few saved, how do you find let's say a soup recipe easily? (And I don't want to be busy copying them into my personal recipe book.) I also think that cookbook recipes are less likely to have mistakes - the publisher has more time to double-check.

I agree. I usually prefer cookbooks to cooking magazines for the same reasons you mentioned.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 11:47 pm
wereafamily wrote:
Kosher Inspired

Thumbs Up

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 7:51 am
I haven't yet seen Kosher Inspired. Where can you get it? Bookstores, supermarket?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 9:20 am
DD got a free copy of Jamie Geller's Shavous issue and I couldn't find anyone to take it off of our hands. I doubt it's that popular.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 10:01 am
TzenaRena wrote:
I haven't yet seen Kosher Inspired. Where can you get it? Bookstores, supermarket?

Kosher Inspired is Mishpacha's food magazine. I have had success with some of their recipes, and I enjoy the articles. They advertise on the cover when it's included in the Mishpacha packet.

chaya35

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 10:21 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
TzenaRena wrote:

Kosher Inspired is Mishpacha's food magazine. I have had success with some of their recipes, and I enjoy the articles. They advertise on the cover when it's included in the Mishpacha packet.

I've also see them sell it separatly

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jun 22 2011, 12:57 pm
my SIL said there were mistakes in the first B'tayavon magazine so I was scared off of that one.

I get food network magazine and when I buy the binah or mishpacha or ami, I look at those recipes too. Mostly I use my cookbooks (all were presents, except my spice and spirit) and imamother.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics