Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Any way to soften brown sugar quickly?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 9:24 am
Any tips on how to soften brown sugar? I have all my ingredients ready to bake a batch of cookies and, to my disappointment, discovered that all my bags of brown sugar are dry and hard. I know there are long term tips for softening them over the next couple of days (like putting an apple in the sugar canister with the hard sugar), but I really need to use the sugar now, this morning. Any tried and true ideas would be greatly appreciated!

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 9:29 am
Microwave for a few seconds in the plastic bag.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 9:29 am
Stick it in a container and microwave for 30-60 seconds, along with some water in a separate container. Repeat until soft (but not melted).

JewishMother18

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 10:41 am
Put a slice of bread into the bag with the sugar. You only have to wait a short time and it'll be soft.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 11:16 am
I do the microwave. Did you get it soft yet?

yummymummy

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 11:20 am
I put it in a glass bowl in the microwave with a damp paper towel covering the bowl and saran wrap on top.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 12 2011, 12:32 pm
OP here. Thank you all for your tips. And, yes, the microwave idea worked....
I will try the slice of bread idea for one of the bags, though, to have it ready for when I bake next. Sounds like a great idea as well.
You know, when I found the 'hard as a rock' brown sugar this morning, I was so frustrated.
I don't know what made me think of posting a thread on imamother. But I realize now what a great group of women you are, always coming to the rescue to help others! Very Happy Smile LOL

geshmak

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:11 am
I know you solved this already, but for the future, I once read to put the brown sugar into a bowl, cover it with a wet paper towel, cover that with silver foil, and let it sit. It does take some time to soften, but it works.

busydev

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 1:28 pm
my bag of brown sugar gave instructions to soften it. put in a microwave container, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave till softer. redampen the paper towel as needed. It worked in under 2 minutes

saras mum

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 12:59 am
what about spices? does this tip (using bread) also work for spices eg bbq spice?

saras mum

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:00 am
what about spices? does this tip (using bread) also work for spices eg bbq spice?

paprika

Post Tue, Jun 21 2011, 1:02 am
Double bag your brown sugar and it won't turn hard.

JewishMother18

Post Thu, Jun 23 2011, 1:42 am
saras mum wrote:

no idea, never tried it but I think if the spices go hard it's probably a sign that they're past their shelf life and probably not that potent any more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen