Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Watching a drug sale, wwyd?

itsmebas

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:06 pm
I was doing some shopping today and saw 2 Jewish teens, looked around 15,16 yrs old walking in front of me together with an older non Jewish guy, the combination caught my attention and then right in front of me, the older guy dropped a little packet on the ground and one of the boys quickly picked it up, the guy told the customers, give my number to your friend, then the seller disappeared into a waiting car. I was watching all this and thinking, these poor boys, they actually looked pretty scared and maybe a little new to this scene, I felt like I should've done something but wasn't sure what to do, besides I was with 3 kids under the age of 5 trying to keep them from running off...I just wonder, what do you/can you do in such a situation? Wwyd?

amother

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:18 pm
They wouldn't listen to you anyway and you dont know who they are. Hopefully their parents are aware and can get them help.

Nomie

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:22 pm
Oy.

You could report it to the police. Call your local precinct, not 911. Maybe they will start patrolling that block more.

Did you recognize either of the Jewish boys, or they were strangers?

itsmebas

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:32 pm
I figured they wouldn't listen and I have no idea who they were, I just felt guilty watching the scene unfold and not doing anything about it, but maybe notifying the police to watch the area is a good idea, but these kids would probably just find another spot...I just feel really sad for the kids, that they're going down this track Sad

yummy2

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:09 pm
Confused they wouldnt listen, and you might have gotten a threat from the dealers themselves. this happens more than you know, at every corner, in the midst of jewish people. nothing can be done. I know someone who"s neighbor deals. they can not do a thing.

Nomie

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:12 pm
I know, it's very hard to see stuff like this...not really anything you can do about it except make sure your own loved ones don't go down that path.

Nomie

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:15 pm
Also, you were right not to say anything. It would be extremely risky and dangerous to do something like that. You don't know if the dealer is carrying a knife or a gun (which, for anyone who has ever seen the show "Cops," you can bet he probably is).

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 9:56 pm
You tell the police what you saw. isn't there an anonymous tips line?

Houseofmen

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 7:22 am
Next time- observe
Try to get a pic of the guy, a pic of the license plates and a pic of the kids
I probably woulda given the dealer's pic and license plates to the police.
regarding the kids- I would probably have waited for the guy to pass, gone up to them, shown them that I took pics of the whole thing, and explained that it would be very easy for me to go to the police.
That they think they're being smart, but someone is always watching. Also- probably ask them why they would want to screw up their lives like that...

But, Im crazy- so don't listen to me....

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 7:30 am
Forget the crummy dealer. Once he took off, I'd instinctively approach the boys and be like, "Guys! What's up with this? Why the h-ck are you doing this? What's going on in your lives? You know there's a better way. What's going on with you?"

Little kids around makes it difficult. Maybe I'd try to get their phone numbers.

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 7:57 am
I would not reccomend calling the police on the dealer, particularly if he knows it was you.

As far as the boys are concerned, if they are addicts, they'll just go to someone else to get their stash next time, if you confront them. What I would do, if possible, is to see if you can get their names and contact someone experienced in this area.

More importantly, educate your children so that it doesn't happen to them!

MommyZ

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 8:02 am
Unless it was a huge drug deal I'd probably ignore it.

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Jun 20 2011, 8:21 am
I wouldn't scold them. I'd calmly catch up with them and say "I hope everything's ok. If you ever want to talk, there are places and alternatives to doing what you're doing. All best." SAY IT CALMLY and CARING and MOTHERLY--like to a 2-year old who just had a nightmare. And just walk away. They'll either tell you to go where the sun don't shine, nod, or just walk away. But your calm, kind words won't leave them and they won't forget it. Trust me. If you're talking to them that young, you'll see the look of innocence their eye, hopefully. And you've done a mitzvah in doing it that way.

And then, I'd call the anonymous drug hotline. Let them come patrol the block.

Houseofmen

Post Tue, Jun 28 2011, 10:30 pm
Hatemywig wrote:
I would not reccomend calling the police on the dealer, particularly if he knows it was you.

As far as the boys are concerned, if they are addicts, they'll just go to someone else to get their stash next time, if you confront them. What I would do, if possible, is to see if you can get their names and contact someone experienced in this area.

More importantly, educate your children so that it doesn't happen to them!

Bravo! Excellent answer!

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 12:26 am
Ha. I'd grab some pot and smoke it and get high...
Lol. I would go ahead minding my own business. A little marijuana or weed doesn't kill besides they wouldn't listen to u.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 5:25 am
That's sick. Besides, how do you know it was pot and not cocaine?

pumpernickle

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 6:36 pm
sarahd wrote:

Cmon. Take it easy girl. Life ain't so harsh. A lol jokey here and there doesn't kill ya either. And as I said these boys wouldn't listen to her IMHO .

MommyZ

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 9:19 pm
sarahd wrote:

Cocaine is expensive. It is a lot more expensive then pot. I agree that they probably won't listen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children