Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Food for guests?

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 10:22 am
Hi everyone,
I need some advice. I am having some guests sleep over for shobbos this week so that they can go to an auf ruf in town and then the wedding on Sunday. I know that the girls are taken care of for meals for Fri night, sat lunch, and seudat shlishit, but my question is: what kind of food should I have in the house for them for breakfast and maybe noshing? This is my first time having guests that I dont know stay here and I want to be prepared. Also, I am 8 months pregnant and haven't been going to the grocery store super often since my back hurts a lot. I'd like to get this all done in one trip.
thanks!

princessdiane1

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 10:25 am
for breakfast you could just have some cake and coffee and in the afternoon I like to put out fruits; watermelon, grapes, strawberries.........

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 10:45 am
make sure it's stuff you like since some of it might be left. do you like salty or sweet stuff?

cheesecake is special and good for breakfast; if they eat before davening. but it's not necessary. you can also just have ceral and milk. are you utting up a hot water urn for tea and coffee?

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 10:55 am
Well, I actually let the family having the auf ruf use my hot water heater this weekend, so coffee and tea is out! Cheesecake is a good idea and I can certainly buy fruit. I know that these girls are shomer shobbos (since otherwise they wouldnt need to stay at our house, walking distance of the shul), but you are right they may very well not eat before shul.
It's times like this that I wish I still lived on the east coast where kosher bakeries were at my fingertips! (we live out in the boonies in the midwest)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Sep 01 2006, 11:12 am
keep cake mixes in the house. and disposable pans. you can't go wrong with something like that!

aussiegal

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:23 am
When I was in seminary here in Israel, I used to LOVE going to a certain family (relatives of mine) because they used to leave a bottle of drink with plastic cups in the bedroom, as well as around 6 pieces of cake. That way if I was hungry or thirsty and didnt want to leave my room, I had something to nush on. I thought that was very considerate of them! THey also used to insist that I have a peice of kugel the second I arrived on erev shabbos!

supermom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:34 am
That is not a bad idea I should start doing that leaving a bottle of water and cups in the rooms with something to munch on this way they don't feel they need to ask or they have to worry about water if they have babies during the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics