Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Choosing Kosher books at a public library
Previous  1  2

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 7:30 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
oh, hey n ow, mimivan

What's with the "hey, now" CM, you think I'm being a bit hard on Mr. Dahl? Very Happy

(btw, I was devastated when I found out Ben Franklin was an anti-semite...but the truth is not always comfortable)

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 7:47 pm
mimivan wrote:
He also left his wife, Patricia Neal, who bore him five children, shortly after she had a stroke and was unable to take care of herself or speak properly.

Not so. He stayed with her after her stroke, and is credited with being by her side and helping her to learn to talk and walk again. They had their fifth child after her recovery. They had a stormy relationship and divorced in 1983, years after her strokes, which happened in 1965. Their marriage lasted 30 years. Their children were supportive of his remarriage. To this day, she says she loves him, even though he was a difficult man.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 7:58 pm
Hey now = hey now.

mimivan

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 8:05 pm
Clarissa wrote:
mimivan wrote:
He also left his wife, Patricia Neal, who bore him five children, shortly after she had a stroke and was unable to take care of herself or speak properly.

Not so. He stayed with her after her stroke, and is credited with being by her side and helping her to learn to talk and walk again. They had their fifth child after her recovery. They had a stormy relationship and divorced in 1983, years after her strokes, which happened in 1965. Their marriage lasted 30 years. Their children were supportive of his remarriage. To this day, she says she loves him, even though he was a difficult man.

thanks for the clarification, Clarissa (aptly named)...the Patricia Neal thing was a rumor I heard obviously...
but his remarks were taken straight from the media and have sources..

Clarissa

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 8:14 pm
mimivan wrote:

thanks for the clarification, Clarissa (aptly named)...the Patricia Neal thing was a rumor I heard obviously...

No, I'm not arguing with the claims of anti-Semitism, this is well-known. But it really doesn't affect my appreciation of his work.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:27 am
Clarissa wrote:
mimivan wrote:

No, I'm not arguing with the claims of anti-Semitism, this is well-known. But it really doesn't affect my appreciation of his work.

I think he is a great writer, and no anti semitism in his books. I don't really like the way he goes on against things like beards, making them seem gross and disgusting and dirty, especially for a frum kid who will know many people with beards.

(I can't help wondering if there is a subconscious anti semitic connection there on Dahl's part)

And I don't think you could say he was an anti semite because many people of his time were. He lived in the 20th century. You can make that statement about Charles Dickens re Fagin, beacue yes, pretty much e/one thought like that then. (although even Dickens did teshuva and ppt a sympathetic Jewish character in a later book)

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:11 am
shanie5 wrote:
how about books by roahld dahl- charlie and the chocolate factory etc.

As long as they don't progress to Roald Dahl's adult books, which are certainly not "kosher"! Beware!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 7:01 am
Lovecraft too was antisemitic (anti everything Rolling Eyes ). But his books are very clean, almost no woman Twisted Evil (yeah, didn't like women either).

orochka

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 2:35 pm
I heard a very good joke about this topic:
Quote:
Back in Russia, there was a chosid Chaim. Every time after his kids were comming back from the library, Chaim was screening the books: this book you can read, this book you can't, and so on. One time, when all chassidim gathered together, someone asked Chaim: "Chaim, how can you screen your kids books, you don't know how to read!". Chaim replies: "The important thing is - CONTROL".

amother

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 8:52 am
The Arteims Fowl series by Eoin Colfer are great

I loved Beverly Cleary's books when I was that age. It depends HOW kosher you want. There are boys and girls in it, but nothing at all romantic.

Sid Fleishman is an excellent author! I reccomend anythng by him.

There is also a pair of sisters Kate and Sarah Klise who write and illustrate together. Their books are adorable, and so fun to read. They are written in the form of a collection of letters, memo, articles, etc. The title that I know of are: "Regarding the fountain", "regarding the sink", and "regarding the trees". You should read them in that order. They also have another book, I forgot what its called, but it is not part of the series, but is just as enjoyable. They also have a baby book abotu x-mas which I found dumb.

When she gets a little older - there are some classics that are good, such as - Where the red fern grows, old yeller, and the summer of the monkeys. (the last one is my personal favorite) I like these three even though I don't particularly enjoy classics.

Dicey's Song By Cynthia Voigt is another great book that I enjoyed at that age. There are three in the series, all pretty good. The problem is, that this author wrote other books, that IIRC aren't so kosher. So I dont' know if you want to start up.

If I think of more, I'll try to post them

roza

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 9:26 am
chaimsmom wrote:
Here's the link: http://www.chinuch.org/item_de.....=4552

If the link doesn't work, try searching for "secular book list" or search by the contributor, Alisa Avruch. If you PM me, I'll email you the PDF file. It contains a list of 1900 secular books with notations for acceptable, unacceptable or questionable.

thanks

momteach

Post Tue, Jul 19 2011, 10:45 pm
You can also order another list (similar to the one on chinuch.org) from Books, Ltd: Rifkie Kaganoff: 773-338-3497.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics