Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What should I wear to shadow a speech therapist?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 7:12 pm
I'm going to be shadowing a speech therapist who works in a hospital (in the NICU), and I don't know what to wear. I know a lot of SLPs who work in people's homes wear comfy clothing so they can get down on the floor...but what do hospital SLPs wear? She does feeding therapy so I imagine she doesn't dress up hugely, but I want to look put-together and professional. I'm hoping to get a reference letter from her eventually....

Thank you!

(anon because I don't want people to figure out who I am IRL)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 7:42 pm
In hospital-based healthcare, people who are not in uniform usually wear business-casual, or even a step more casual. No denim or sloppy looks. "Put together and professional" would be fine. Lots of rings/bracelets which interfere with washing or accessories that dangle over the patients are considered unsanitary. You will certainly have a disposable gown provided to cover your clothes in the NICU, and it is highly unlikely you will be expected to get on the floor in that setting. Some settings require closed-toe non-skid shoes for everyone, but even if this hospital does not, use some common sense concerning comfort and safety. How about asking your mentor in advance if there are any dress-code guidelines?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 18 2011, 10:06 pm
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Business casual sounds good. I'll ask my mentor too, but I was just curious what you guys thought. Thanks!

marshmellow

Post Fri, Jul 22 2011, 9:29 am
not over the top fancy, but smart and presentable definitely. just wear an eleganct/smart looking outfit, skirt and top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics