Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
A good example of a "broken telephone"

Nani

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:54 am
About a month before Pesach, my friend and I were discussing buying new clothes and the fact that being in ovelus I was not to buy anything new this year.
A week before Pesach she called me laughing her head of. What happened. Apparently, in a conversation with a mutual friend, she mentioned that I was not to buy anything new, and that friend said something to another person, that person said something to a third friend.
Before long my friend got a call from somebody in the city where she lives and the person wanted to come to drop of two bags of clothes. When my friend asked for whom, she heard that it was for me. When she asked why did I (Nani) need them, the lady said that her mother told her that I had nothing to wear.

Did anybody have similar experiences, I.e. with the broken telephone?

chen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 1:29 pm
My neighbor called a repairman to arrange a housecall for an ailing appliance. The repairman said "OK, I coming TOOday." So he stays home all that day, and the guy never shows up. Next day he calls up the repairman and wants to know why he stood him up. Repairman says, "I tol' you, I coming TOOday. Now ees Friday, Satiday, Sohnday, Mohnday, TOOday!"

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 27 2006, 12:26 pm
oy!

shmoozer

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 6:39 pm
It's funny when it happens to 'yenem'!

southernbubby

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 6:51 pm
Tootsiepies, I have seen far worse broken telephone. I have seen several instances of people who had the wrong names when they wanted to tell someone else about broken engagements. Luckily the telephones were "fixed" before the stories got too far, but it was scary how people didn't check the names carefully before passing the information. In one case, a mother overheard her son talking about a wealthy person who broke an engagement and assumed that it was someone she knew of.

chen

Post Thu, May 04 2006, 8:31 pm
Then there was the shul rabbi who announced very sadly to the cong. "I am sorry to inform you that ________ is no longer with us." more than one person had a conniption, thinking the fellow was niftar. What he meant was the young man abruptly quit his job as youth director of the shul and moved out of the area.

Iluvmykids

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 2:08 am
someone once had a FIRE in their house and had to divide the family up amongst relatives for several weeks until their house was repaired. Later that week someone told me "did you hear that so and so had a big FIGHT and are living separately now?"

ssbarnes

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 7:51 am
A couple of months ago on Shabbos my boys decided to play outside in front of the shul instead of eating lunch with me. They both ripped their pants at the knee. Someone saw that they both had holes in their pants and told the Rabbetzin. When I picked my son up from camp during the week, I was given a box of food and I was offered a gift certificate to Target to buy them new pants.

I was so embarrassed. embarrassed

Dena

aussiegal

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 8:28 am
A friend of mine was suggested a boy from a certain family. She called up references and got great info ' tall, dark, handsome, good job etc.' Then the guy comes to pick her up and he's short, chubby, learning etc. She went on the date but was extremely confused.
Ended up being that the info she had gotten was for his older single brother!!!!

happy2beme

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 8:58 am
omg! dena, that's so funny!!!! ok, embarassing too! (just tell them it's the style Smile , yeh, active boys style ) at least u know u have a concerned & helpful community there Smile

ssbarnes

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 9:31 am
At least I was able to accept it in the spirit in which it was given. A year ago I would have cried.

Dena

P.S. We accepted the food package because it had already been purchased and boxed up specifically for us.

mummy

Post Tue, Sep 05 2006, 3:39 pm
I had a minor case of BELLS PALSY. One of my friends told me not to tell anyone what was wrong with me for shidduch reasons. A few days later a co worker approached me and said "how are you feeling? I heard you had CEREBAL PALSY!!!!!!!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 2:33 am
OMG mummy.. that's a bad one..

non-conformist

Post Wed, Sep 06 2006, 4:39 am
Excellent thread...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics