Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you clean an oven to be kashered?

IloveHashem613

Post Wed, Aug 03 2011, 8:44 pm
I have to kasher an oven. Our Rav told us that I have to clean it very well, then put it on highest number for an hour. Thing is, I've never had to really clean an oven before (besides surface clean it). This is the first time I have to really get in there and use some elbow grease and clean it like crazy. Please tell me the best way/best products to clean my oven. I also have to clean the racks, what's the best way...what are the "tricks"? Thanx!

moon__star

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 2:43 am
Get a can of oven cleaner (spray on foaming kind), wear good latex/plastic gloves, spray the entire inside, let drip for awhile (read the directions). Wipe clean.

If it's the really good stuff, everything will drip off but you have to clean it really well afterwards to make sure the chemicals come off. Don't forget the ceiling of the oven - if you can't spray, just scoop up some of the foam and wipe it on.

The chemicals are really strong so be careful. If you get some on your skin, wash it off as soon as possible. I've done this a few times (mostly before Pesach), it won't kill you but it can damage your skin, especially if it's sensitive.

IloveHashem613

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 5:55 am
moon__star wrote:
Get a can of oven cleaner (spray on foaming kind), wear good latex/plastic gloves, spray the entire inside, let drip for awhile (read the directions). Wipe clean.

If it's the really good stuff, everything will drip off but you have to clean it really well afterwards to make sure the chemicals come off. Don't forget the ceiling of the oven - if you can't spray, just scoop up some of the foam and wipe it on.

The chemicals are really strong so be careful. If you get some on your skin, wash it off as soon as possible. I've done this a few times (mostly before Pesach), it won't kill you but it can damage your skin, especially if it's sensitive.

ok any recommendations as far as which product to use?

ElTam

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:14 am
I use Easy Off No Fume. Spread out some newspapers or sales circulars down at the bottom of the door to catch drips. I spray the oven thoroughly along with the racks before I go to bed. Really spray. The more you spray, the less you scrub. Make sure you do your broiler tray as well if your oven has one.

Scrub out with wet shmattas first thing in the morning. I use old shmattas (like from cut-up clothes that the kids ruined) so I can just throw them out when I am done. If you find a spot that is hard to clean, you can spray and let sit for an hour or two and come back. If they are wet it is easier to get all the cleaner out.

When it's all clean, turn the oven on highest heat for one hour with the racks in.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 8:41 am
I find that St Moritz oven cleaner or the Israeli equivalent Shunamit works best to cut grease.
First things first, make sure children are out of the house or sleeping. Close all bedroom doors. Open all windows to ventilate. Wear very long very protective gloves. Try not to breathe in the chemicals. Use a mask if possible.
Remove pieces from oven. Lay out on large garbage bags. Spray with St Moritz. Allow to sit for a while. If short on time, you can tie up the oven pieces in the garbage bag to speed up the process.
Scrub down all pieces with steel wool.
Wash off in bathtub.

If you can do this process outdoors, do so. But ONLY if there is no wind that day. Or else the spray can be picked up by the wind c"v and go somewhere it shouldn't.

moon__star

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:19 pm
We use a product from Sano (Israeli) in a black bottle, but my mom would just get whatever happened to be available (US brands) so I'm not sure.

You could always ask a store clerk for advice, as they would know what's sold most often...

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:52 pm
I heard that you have a self cleaning oven you should not use commercial cleaners in it...I assume you do not have self clean and that is why you are cleaning it like this?

moon__star

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 12:57 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I heard that you have a self cleaning oven you should not use commercial cleaners in it...I assume you do not have self clean and that is why you are cleaning it like this?

Not sure about this, but self-cleaning is NOT recommended for the health of your oven. They say you shouldn't do this more than twice in the lifetime of the oven (although I don't know why it's a part of the oven's features if it's true) because it heats up so high for so long that it actually damages the oven, or at least decreases the time before having to be replaced.

Shopmiami49

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 1:45 pm
moon__star wrote:
Shopmiami49 wrote:

Not sure about this, but self-cleaning is NOT recommended for the health of your oven. They say you shouldn't do this more than twice in the lifetime of the oven (although I don't know why it's a part of the oven's features if it's true) because it heats up so high for so long that it actually damages the oven, or at least decreases the time before having to be replaced.

My manual says no more than twice a year. I find it hard to believe that we all pay so much for a self cleaning feature that we can't even use...

My oven is over 10 years old and has been self cleaned a LOT more than 2 times ans is in like-new condition.

nylon

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 3:08 pm
Maybe with old self clean ovens that was true, but now they recommend you do it regularly so you don't get build-up--which also damages the oven!

And the manual specifically says NOT to use oven cleaners because they damage the special self-clean finish.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2011, 4:03 pm
My oven is not self clean, which is why I use cleaners and lots of elbow grease.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen