Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva Brachos for Second Marriage?
Previous  1  2

someoneoutthere

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 6:34 pm
DrMom wrote:
someoneoutthere wrote:
Weddings are about being "mesameach chosson im hakalla" not the other way around. Most of the inyanim surrounding a wedding in halacha are with the chosson being the one "acquiring a wife". So it's irrelevant how many or few times the kalla has been married, the number of sheva brachos will be determined by the chosson.

I (naively?) thought the purpose of sheva brachot celebrations was to welcome the couple into the community. I don't understand why it should matter if the bride or groom has been married before.
\

There are 2 things: Sheva Brachos party/meal and the actual 7 brachos. The issue at hand is the latter not the former.
Simply put, for the first 7 days after a person is married, any time that there is a minyan of men partaking in a seuda with the chosson and kalla, 7 brachos are said. One does not HAVE to make all 7. The question is, for how many days is the bracha allowed to be made? (I do think some sephardim bichlal only make the last bracha of Asher Bara at sheva brachos after the chasuna.) Truth is, party for however many days you want, no matter if its wedding 1 or 5. I personally think the extended celebration of the wedding is a nice thing, though I'd have preferred it not all be crammed into 7 days but spread out a tiny bit.

The purpose of the the celebrations is to celebrate the marriage, not to welcome them into the community. For the chosson and kalla themselves, those 7 days (regardless of meals/minyan present for brachos) are a unique time and there are various inyanim associated such as not saying tachanun when they daven or are in the minyan and preferably refraining from work.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 29 2011, 11:23 pm
someoneoutthere wrote:
DrMom wrote:
someoneoutthere wrote:
Weddings are about being "mesameach chosson im hakalla" not the other way around. Most of the inyanim surrounding a wedding in halacha are with the chosson being the one "acquiring a wife". So it's irrelevant how many or few times the kalla has been married, the number of sheva brachos will be determined by the chosson.

I (naively?) thought the purpose of sheva brachot celebrations was to welcome the couple into the community. I don't understand why it should matter if the bride or groom has been married before.
\

There are 2 things: Sheva Brachos party/meal and the actual 7 brachos. The issue at hand is the latter not the former.
Simply put, for the first 7 days after a person is married, any time that there is a minyan of men partaking in a seuda with the chosson and kalla, 7 brachos are said. One does not HAVE to make all 7. The question is, for how many days is the bracha allowed to be made? (I do think some sephardim bichlal only make the last bracha of Asher Bara at sheva brachos after the chasuna.) Truth is, party for however many days you want, no matter if its wedding 1 or 5. I personally think the extended celebration of the wedding is a nice thing, though I'd have preferred it not all be crammed into 7 days but spread out a tiny bit.

The purpose of the the celebrations is to celebrate the marriage, not to welcome them into the community. For the chosson and kalla themselves, those 7 days (regardless of meals/minyan present for brachos) are a unique time and there are various inyanim associated such as not saying tachanun when they daven or are in the minyan and preferably refraining from work.

Are these inyanim in effect for second marriages?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics